Thursday, June 10, 2010

COMPLETELY RANDOM THOUGHTS

TO BE HONEST, IT ISN'T ALL THAT FUNNY

In high school and then in college, I felt that in conversations about any social policy, the invocation of 'Hitler' or comparisons to Fascism immediately renders the point of the person making the comparison, moot. What happened in post WW I Germany and what led to WW II, were so singular in nature that it stands alone and serves as a lesson that will prolly never be forgotten. It is also devoid of any rationality or any sense of proportion. I think of people who use 'the Hitler' are the equivalent of intellectual drama queens, seeking out a reaction, any reaction, to draw attention to themselves and their frustrations.

In today's Huffpost Humor, there is a list of people unfairly compared to Hitler. The first person compared to Hitler is JESUS CHRIST..! The comparison is made by none other than Glen Beck, which goes to show how big an idiot he may be. In the same ball park is how the Tea Bag movement can't make up its mind... is the Obama administration making policy that is turning America Communist or does it has Fascist ideals. You would think that based on Germany fighting Russia in WW II that they would figure out that the two don't go to the same clubs and not to invite them to the same dinner parties!

A bunch of angry, frightened, nervous white folk (let's face it, the Tea Baggers are pretty white and de facto rascist in their rantings) getting together and being politically active. And it is white WOMEN that are leading their inroads to becoming a viable political alternative for voters.

Still, I wonder if they can maintain their relevancy. I also think that the liberal movement is doing the Tea Baggers a favor by acting confused and disillusioned by not seeing all their dreams coming true. They can't sustain their drive because so many of what drew their political interest has a lot to do with intangible things. The gay issues (marriage and the military) doesn't give anyone a job or help out people who are underwater in their mortgage or trying to pay for school. Same with the 'greening of America', talking about short term cost without finding the 'right now' money to pay for it.

Not to mention the troubled public school system. The so-called new economy is going to need educated employees and we aren't producing them. I think that the schools are fast becoming breeding grounds for unrest. I am sure that by high school that a lot of these kids have began to detach themselves from dreaming the 'American Dream', seeing how the jobs that their parents (or maybe I should say their grand parents, as their parents didn't have a lot of job prospects either...) were able to look forward to. I close my eyes and I see 'A Clockwork Orange' kind of future in our urban centers.

WILL IT SPREAD?

I was reading a story about the politics in Belgium and how divided that country is, in its social politics. The thing is, there are other European countries who are split between the haves and have nots. In Belgium the problem is more like the issues that the Quebecois have in Canada. There seems to be a worry about cultural differences between the Flemish speakers and the Francophone's. But in Spain and Italy, it is a economic driven separatist movement.

If what goes on in Spain and Italy catches fire here, then we will have trouble. Right now, the United States is still in a 'lift every boat' kind of situation. Once things gets better for one part of the country it is a sign that improvement is around the corner for the rest of the nation.

Not so in Europe. The 'balkanization' within one nation's own borders is telling. The division of wealth have remained from the feudal era in many of the European nations. Talk about institutionalized social prejudice!

I guess my ultimate point is that no matter how bad things may seem here, we still got a long way to go before some of the more outrageous political ideas take root and make a difference here. Some countries in the world are being led by true despots, who were at one time fairly elected and people thought they were voting for the right canidate.

China is taking the lead in the green industry, because of the future profits to be had. They can see down the line and their numbers along with their educational system will produce the skilled workers to drive such an economy. But right now, they are still among the worst polluters and friends with countries who commit no end of human rights violations (not to mention the Chinese themselves..!).

The African continent is one of the worst places to be a homosexual... there is a American Christian movement that is part of it, but the truth is that in Africa, the anti-gay thinking is part of the ignorance that is hobbling development there. Honestly, I can't say a lot about what is happening there because I don't stay informed on what happens there. Like my man told Dap in 'School Daze', 'YOU go back to Africa... I am from DEE-troit, MO-town, (and no, I NEVER get tired of that line or saying it!!) which leads me to a blip I heard on the 'Tom Joyner Morning Show' this morning.

Gary Coleman's ex-wife sold pictures of him near the end of his life to the tabloids. Tacky as she was, I found the tack of the conversation between the black radio personalities even tackier.

Sure, it was sad and tasteless. I haven't seen the photos but I have heard about how the wife was posing around as he lay on his deathbed. But I don't know what the woman's RACE had to do with anything.

Black folks play the card (and you know what card I am talking about... don't act new on me!!) just as white folks use their sense of entitlement to get by on. I know and see black folks who pull tasteless and crappy things out of their bungholes, too. It isn't like by being white, that Gary Coleman's ex-wife was any more prone to doing something exploitive any more than she would have been had she been black.

It made me think of the bizzaro logic my ex-wife used when trying to defend her actions. What does one thing have to do with the other? What does race have to do with Gary's ex being exploitive? Would it have been better if it was a sister girl who sold and posed for the photos??

The anger in the female on the show voice was audible in her voice. Maybe SHE wouldn't have done Gary like that, but she 1) didn't have 'boots on the ground' experience to feel that way and 2) by his ex being white, she spoke as if there was a 'see, that is what y'all brother's get' element to her words.

Me, I could give a sh*t who you love and why you love them. It simply isn't my fight and I would not advise nor imply that it is wrong to love who you want, especially if they love you back. To me, it is a contradiction on the highest order, black folks who discriminate against someone who doesn't.

DAMN... WHAT AM I TALKING ABOUT..?

One of the reason I think that Skye has some of the issues that she has, is that her Mom is a very urban, who identifies more with her ethnicity than being a human being. When you do that, I think that you close off a part of your soul and you create a dichotomy that interfers in your own growth as a person. Won't say that it can't be overcome, but it is something that I'd rather not deal with in someone.

I am going to tell her that she has an open invitation to move to Nebraska, once I get there. I really think she needs to be out from under her Mom, not that her Mom is bad for her or anything, to grow and find out who she is for herself in a different environment.

But that is my opinion...

2 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Room to spread wings is always a good thing.

Constance said...

Thank you for the brilliant - and VERY helpful comment on my post today! I'd been feeling guilty for not feeling loving compassion for any oif those people -- and you clearly proved exactly why none was needed!
THANK YOU MORE THAN YOU KNOW.

I get confused on supposedly the more enlightened you get, the nicer you are, even in your thoughts.

And also re: your post - you are correct, tackiness and race have nothing to do with each-other, and it is ludicrous when people lump the issues together. Be specific and be correct. However that assumes people understand that words have a precise meaning - and most don't care that they do, they just talk.

Hitler's era is not unique in that so many thousands were willing to abdicate their intelligence/sense of moral decency and follow him.

There are other dangerous leaders even today who have had mindless thousand of people vote for them or think they are harmless, like that whack job in north korea or hmmm, well the one currently in the white house.

I believe these people/citizens would just as mindlessly be foolish (albeit in a different way as they have already proven to be economically in the last 20 years) if urged under the label of 'reganomics' or 'change' or without stopping to ask what the long-term repercussions of their actions are.

You clearly identified the problems with the countries right now, like China and Africa.

However, I believe the US is in more trouble than you think economically. I think to use a bad analogy - we are the sinking titanic and yet the bow is still above water.