Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Rambling On and On

Last week when I rambled about waking up in the middle of the night and watching ironic videos, tacky infomercials for unneeded gadgets and repeats of news programs, I went off about some of my fears about homegrown terrorism. As much as I would like to talk about another great run by Michigan State in the NCAA basketball tournament or PMS'ing about my personal travails, yesterday there were a couple of incidents of terrorism here and overseas that are dominating my thoughts.

One of the reasons that people in the United States tend to be ignorant of what is happening with the rest of the world is due in a large part to its isolation. Also, unlike other continents, our history is one where America has been the dominant presence in the hemisphere. We've only had to worry about us. There are no long standing relations with 'mother countries' and that plays a big part in our ignorance of what happens in the world.

Russia has had a problem with Chechen separatist since the 90's. The old Soviet Union covers a vast area that encompasses 10 time zones. It is an combination of many different nationalities forced together. With the fall of Communism, I am figuring all these groups felt empowered to make their bid for self rule. Several of the more cohesive and stronger republics did just that. Others weren't allowed to break away.

NOW, I'M NO STUDENT OF SOCIAL CULTURE

So two Muslim women suicide bombers struck in Moscow. Watching the story on BBC America, ironically enough, to try to avoid the shivers that the Hutaree story were giving me, I thought 'why didn't Chechnya gain their freedom along with the other big republics?' Could it be that Chechnya also contains vital natural resources... access to the Middle East? Or is it that area has been a part of Russia for so long that the 'national ego' of Russia would suffer at the loss of that much land.

Who can say? I know I can't. But there is so much internal strife going on within Russia's borders that maybe they didn't have the time to protest too much when the United States decided to wage war in Iraq and in Afghanistan... the latter serving as 'Trojan Horse' of lessons, perhaps?

Other than being homegrown terrorists, the Hutaree Militia has nothing in common with the Chechen Muslims. You could make a case that they are both religious extremists, but I don't see that connection. The kind of extremism that the cats in Michigan displayed is a whole 'nother kind of crazy. When the story first broke, I thought I would do a more tongue- in- cheek, 'I like white people' kind of entry. But as I heard more and more about the intentions of the group, I decided to change my tack.

Whenever I hear about apocalyptic prophecy and armed groups moving to instigate an end of times scenario, one where they are among the select few to 'ascend' if you will, I think that you will find a bunch of people that have given up hope in ANYTHING.

PATH TO DESPAIR

The lives of people who believe that they are so chosen that they are going to be among those select few to go on to paradise are dark and bleak. They have lost hope in themselves and look to something outside of themselves for anything that explains why they are where they are and what needs to happen for them to be in a better place.

One of the cats on Anderson Cooper 360 last night said that the Hutaree Militia was part of what he called 'the Hate-triot' movement. That pretty much captures what I think is going on as well. I don't think that the ties that the Militia or even going back to the Branch Davidians have to mainstream religion has anything to do with actual practicing of any particular faith. These people are hopeless and when you lack hope, hate is waiting to fill that void.

There is a reason that these seperatist groups lack diversity. They believe that they are being put upon, oppressed, by a social order intent on taking away their place in society as set by divine prophecy. A prophecy where 'a white America is a strong America'. Where people of color are called 'mud people' and other than insuring the purity of the race, women are often no better than indentured servants.

BOY, I COULD USE AN EDITOR

Then again, I don't know if this would be an actual 'diary' if things made 'sense' the way others folks journals do. If I am writing here for 'entertainment purposes', then who do I hope to entertain? A lot of time I am 'jus' talkin' as I am doing now. Anywho...

Militia movements and the groups that operate within our borders are the terrorists that I worry about. From the 'lone wolf' terrorists that you can't do nothing about but hope that they are neutralized (one of the cats mentioned James W. Von Brunn, who set upon the Holocaust Memorial) before they can do too much damage, to these hate group cats whose memebers are plotting all kind of urban warfare. The odds that me and a high value target conincides with Al-Queda are remote. But the chances that I stumble into some kind of hate group violence, while still long, are not so farfetched to where I completely ignore them.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The painful part of all of this, to me, is that the greatest majority of people in this country have no truck with these groups. these groups have a voice now, in this day and age of instant communication and worldwide news, because the "Information feeds" are so hungry for anything out of the ordinary that they can turn around as "News". Anything and anybody con suddenly be "News" if they are strange enough, weird enough, violent enough.

The thing is - they've always been here. This country is made up of a broad spectrum of beliefs and belief systems - social, political and religious.

'The Fringe', if you will, is learning how to grab attention as they have never been able to grab attention before. The question is - will all of this headline grabbing and attention getting be their downfall - or ours?

krissy knox said...

Hi, Mark! Just came over to visit your blog. :) Wrote you a comment, felt kind of stupid about it, decided I wanted to write you an email, and perhaps we could discuss this, bc there is so much I don't know. I feel there is a lot I do know, but there is lots I don't. I think a good exchange would be good for both of us, as it is always good to learn more, or see where each is coming from, no? By the way, I admire you to the max for the fact that you know history, as well as know what is going on in the present. Not trying to patronize you, i find that rare these days! I am very, very impressed. Please email me back, and just put in the subject line "Rambling On and On by Mark". You will find my email address below. Thanks, Bud. I would love to have an exchange with you. It will give me something to do while John is having his hip replacements due to his bone marrow transplants and cancer, LOL. Not that I don't already have enough to do. Okay, guy, take care. :)

krissy knox :)
fisherkristina@aol.com
Visit my main blog: Sometimes I Think
Hey! Former Jlanders (former AOL Journalers) ~ Please add your blog(s) to our Directory of blogs:
From Jland To Blogger
follow Krissy on twitter:
@iamkrissy

Ken Riches said...

We are very lucky as a country to not have much in the way of home grown terrorism. We had Oklahoma and McVee, but that was isolated. I hope we can avoid the suicide bomber mentality. I think as the old white establishment becomes the minority, there will be much more hate to come.

Ken Riches said...

and.... Go State :o)

betty said...

I know I should pay more attention to the goings on in the world and these different groups, but I don't. Yet I know we are vulnerable to any type of attack wherever we are and there is no safe place any more. I guess we jsut always need to be on guard and watch our backs so to speak and try not to worry (too) much about it.

(I do think it would do you good to read the Bible :)

betty