Thursday, March 25, 2010

IF YOU WANT TO DO MORE THAN LOOK

EVEN AS TEEN, I ALWAYS KNEW WHY I WASN'T 'IN' ANY CROWD!!


I would run around with stuff like this in my head!! Comparing it directly with the Rihanna video (which is a sad commentary on the state of affairs on how seriously we are taking messages that condone violence against women) it is innocent on the verge of being naive. Don't know anyone who liked this song other than me in high school, but it didn't stop me from singing it waiting for the bus or walking around Northland Mall.

Northland was an actual destination then, full of nationally recognized stores and anchored by Hudson's. I remember they had a way cool cookie place down from the JC Penney court, that if you were lucky and there wasn't a crowd, you could request a warm cookie right off the baking wheel! The Market Place in Hudson's used to be on the third floor and they had the best blueberry muffins EVER!! I'd get off the Greenfield bus and bum rush for the bakery window and buy three or four of them and THAT would be dinner for the night!!

I don't know how many times I would find myself running for the bus, trying to catch it as it turned to leave the depot area!! The 8 mile bus was a 'sometimey' bus, as it never seemed to keep to its schedule, from the first bus to the last!! Missing that connection would really have thrown me off, because I still had papers to throw and training to get in.

The newsstation where I'd draw the papers for my route was kittycorner across the street from the bus stop, which was in front of the apartments that made up my route. So instead of going home to get my newsbag, I'd haul the papers across the street and get to delievering papers. Jan and my darling brother were on their own and usually done with their route by the time I was getting started on mine.

Nearing the end, I would usually wave at Hutch as he sat in his chair watching the news. Finishing, I would then start throwing the papers on the street route, which picked up right after the apartments. Working from 'back-to-front', I would end up passing by my house and finally dropping my books from school, only to pick up my training bag. When I would finish the route, I'd stand once again on 7 Mile Road, and start my long walk to the Crowell Recreation Center where I boxed from 5:30 - 8:00 p.m.

Occasionally we'd go to different gyms to train, the old 8th Street Gym, Butzel-Adams, and over at Herman Gardens (are they EVER going to rebuild that area??). Of course we'd go and have training at Kronk, days I'd call 'though we walk in Valley'days, because that was always some hard work!! For sure, I would go to school the next day 'marked up' from the competitive sparring that took place there.

I'd get home around 9:00 p.m. most evenings. Scramble through my books and scribble stuff down and call it 'doing my homework'. Read what notes I took for the day and drift off to sleep, to dreams of becoming a king on the wild frontier.

8 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Sometimes when we are the busiest, we are the happiest.

Unknown said...

When I was a kid, we lived right down the street from Tony Zale. Few people remember him anymore, but he was a friend of my Dad's and he taught boxing at the YMCA down Roosevelt Road. And I took lessons, at age twelve, from the former Middleweight Champion of the World.

Sage Ravenwood said...

Remembering times like these, keep us centered when the world spins off it's axle. Thinking of you hon. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

Mark, had lunch yesterday with DB and he only recommended one blog to me, yours.
You should feel complimented by his recommendation, Bill

Lori said...

I have absolutely no memory of that song! lol Yes, naive, to say the least.

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

Don't know this song...and I know a lot of songs. I have to think about this post a bit more...you said a lot and nothing slips by me.

I appreciate the paper-route my brothers had one...and my Mom helped them sometimes delivered for them when they were sick. Hard work.

DB said...

I had a paper route and if they dropped the bundle in time and I could get them all delivered I could make it over to the train station and sell more to the commuters. We competed for that. Free enterprise, street style.

DB

mac said...

I believe all of that contributed to making you the fine man you seem to be today.

Like Ken above said, we seem to be our happiest when we are at our busiest, for whatever reason.