Friday, February 5, 2010

NOT SO RANDOM THAT THEY CAN'T BE COLLECTED, THOUGHTS

MEDIA WATCH


Some of this is a little overdue. The Sports Illustrated with Drew Brees on its cover beating the Vikings (cover date: Feb. 1,2010) has a short article about the Colts and their victory over the Jets, in the AFC Championship game. Interesting stuff about their head coach, Jim Caldwell. The editors more than made up for that slight with a feature story on Jim Irsay, the teams' owner. Very good article about him and his relationship with his Dad and how it shaped his life.


There is a lot of hardship in there that shows how no matter where you start, you have to live and deal with the same life as everyone else. Even being born in a place where there was privilege and money around his life, that did not make him immune from the same kind of troubles that are commonly believed to be a part of the lives of 'other kinds of people'. Those without money or the station to grow and develop into the mythical 'credit to society' that many imagine themselves as.


Time Magazine (Feb. 8,2010) has a cover story about the concussion problem that is pervasive on all levels that Football is played in this country. Informative stuff and if you wanted to get a good feel with what I am dealing with (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE as it is referred to in the article is more commonly understood as dementia pugilistica, i.e. 'being punch drunk') on a day to day basis.


Not going to soap box here or anything. Just putting it out there for those who were interested enough in my condition and wanting to know more about it, where they can find an accurate description of my 'what's what'. So much of what I face I have been coping with and have simply added it to how I deal with the world.


Another reason is that while there is 'stuff' to deal with, there is still some things available to me. 'Disabled' isn't the same as 'incapacitated', and that I will have to overcome barriers and obstacles, makes me no different than anyone else.


BRILLIANCE

Your shell is your body and it what reflects what you EAT. You are what you consume. In the form of media, what you are instructed upon, the well knowledge that you draw from, all that and more is what you are.

Huckdoll put this out a little while back, and it has been rolling over in my mind (and in my mind, everybody loves to party..!) since I read it and ooh, it just rolled over again!!

I don't know if she got it from the book by Janet Fitch or not, but I love what it says and makes me feel. And I think that is what her point is about, finding what you find in yourself and appreciating it as it is, as something that means something to you.

The difficulty in finding someone who understands you and can see you as the special and unique person you believe yourself to be, as Fitch points out, is a pursuit that would drive one to find their hopes driving them to become 'murderous with their disappointment' at their futility.

Instinctively, it seems to me, I have always been concerned with finding out about myself. Because if I didn't know who I was, would it have mattered about who 'you' are?? A lot of my confidence comes from having a good idea about the person I am. To know more about yourself I think, is again an exception as are the exceptional that Fitch speaks of in Hucky's post.

In my effort to climb out from wherever I am, I have supsended my Chomsky reading. The twisted connections that make up the conspiracy and their thin veils makes me lose heart with my fellow man. I will stick to reading about the garage sale of ideas that is the Teabag (I wouldn't mind 'teabagging' someone... hey, they put it out there!!) Convention and snicker as Fox News persists in its attempt to promote itself as a legitimate news network (when Cheney and Bush was in the White House, I was looking for someone to actually charge people with 'thoughtcrime'... and for Fox to show the proceedings in prime time!).

But even in doing that, there are 'gopher holes' to avoid and sloping dells I've no choice but to walk through.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

" ... there are 'gopher holes' to avoid and sloping dells I've no choice but to walk through." The human condition, in one well chosen phrase.

Unknown said...

I think what attracted me to that quote in the first place was the very first line,

"Loneliness is the human condition"

I have an issue with loneliness and that is the fact practically every single person I've crossed paths with in life thinks loneliness is a scary, sad, depressing thing.

I have issues with people NOT wanting to be alone or lonely. I couldn't be with a person that didn't like to be alone or constantly whined about never wanting to be alone or didn't let me "Cultivate" my own loneliness.

I like lonely; it doesn't have to be a bad thing. Some of the best art, music, poetry and quotes come from people alone in their loneliest moments.

I find when someone is constantly surrounded, constantly around noise and people, even whining that their kids and spouse have gone out and they are SO lonely...those kind of people lose a great deal of depth.

Personally, I don't let people into my life who are lacking loneliness. They're just very dull to me.

Ken Riches said...

Loneliness is certainly a function of our sense of self worth and self esteem. I know that you do not fear being alone, and that is a powerful tool to have in your toolkit :o)

Beth said...

I haven't read that article in Time yet...I'll make sure I read it.

mrs.missalaineus said...

how is the big snow, round deux, treating you?

my sister in her hubs live across the rivre in VA and they are hunkered down for the duration.

take care. we still dont have even a hint of snow on the ground here.

xxalainaxx