Saturday, May 16, 2009

OKAY, OKAY, I ADMIT IT, I AM

AN INDIE FILM SNOB

But if I had seen the movie 'The Kite Runner' at the Main in Royal Oak when it was first released, I would have been on the local news. The lead story would be 'Violence erupts at a screening of 'The Kite Runner'.

It was a good film. BUT it wasn't anything AT ALL what you will read about if you read ANYTHING about it!!

The treachery and the deception. That it 'moved me', as AKA smiled may have been the 'moving' that it was supposed to do!!

Don't need a spoiler alert ... because it was driven by a crap character story. EASILY the most unsympathetic figure on screen in a decade for me. I am wondering WTF the reviewers saw that was moving?? It is all I can do to keep from going off at the deep end (mainly, because I can't swim!!) about this.

Told her that if I HAD invested the time to go see this movie when it was getting its rave reviews, that I would have been fighting, if someone who was 'moved emotionally' came out kvetching at how sad the story was. Yeah, it was sad, sad that anyone could have any empathy for the main character. HE SUCKED, HE SUCKED HARD!!

Man, I could not run this disappointment off. Would LOVE to have talked with someone when the movie was getting all the indie Oscar buzz. This movie was the biggest bait and switch con foisted on the movie going public.

I am MAD!! Mad that all the swell bleeding hearts were able to be so emotionally invested in this. Were someone to ask ME about the movie, I COULD NOT recommend it. That it was well done, made the story contrast between its reviews and what I saw even greater! That movie ... man, I would have gotten in someone face over this movie... you better NOT have shed any friggin' tears over this film!

4 comments:

Beth said...

Never saw it, and no desire to. I don't pay much attention to a lot of movie reviews. I tend to have a pretty good handle on what I will and won't like, and critical acclaim or dismissal doesn't matter much in my little world. Besides, I like a lot of crap movies like B-movies and horror movies, so I'm not the average movie viewer.

To get you to thinking happy thoughts today, Ken and I watched "Slumdog Millionaire" last week and loved it. It was such a great concept of how the questions related to things that he'd lived through on the streets, and it's so sobering to realize how many kids live like that around the world. It was just a lovely, sweet movie. Darn, I'm choking up a little as I write this! Hugs, Beth

Ken Riches said...

Note to self, skip it :o)

Sage Ravenwood said...

I have the book in my TBR pile. Now I'm thinking I truly need to read it and rent the movie just to see what would get you all worked up. I'm almost betting, knowing you I'll probably be standing on the same side of the fence you are. (Hugs)Indigo

betty said...

I've learned over the years that if a reviewer likes a movie, I'm not going to like it and if the reviewer hates it, I might enjoy it. I heard the book was really good; sorry you didn't enjoy it Mark

betty