Monday, March 30, 2009

TV NIGHT!!

REALLY, IT WAS TO FIT IN WITH THE MOOKS

Honestly, I have NEVER set my watch to a TV schedule, which is why shows that I like to watch, or hear good things about, can go unseen. I will read what the critics say, and if it sounds interesting enough, watch an episode or two. Tonight, a show that I have watched since it's inception '24' was on, and it was very enjoyable.

This has been one of the better seasons, and since they have had a Black President, perhaps the female President they have now, is a precursor. But that talk is for later on ... it is on my mind, the President, or specifically the office holder. I am sure it may put a bee in someone's bonnet. Perhaps I will keep that to myself.

Because '24' has been so good, I had to give up '2 And A Half Men'. I try to keep up by watching the web repeats, but it isn't as easy as it would seem to stare at a computer montior. I haven't gotten used to getting my info and entertainment that way yet. Maybe I am too old for this sh*t!

THE MURTAUGH RULE

Did catch both 'Big Bang Theory' and 'How I Met Your Mother'. Both were funny ... but 'Mother' had me thinking as much as laughing. It was an epsiode where one of the plots had Ted and Barney disagree over being too old to do certain things. He and Marshall called it the 'Murtaugh Rule' after Danny Glover's character in the 'Lethal Weapon' movies. Essentially, it is when you are supposed to have matured beyond certain activities and choices.

I liked how it was resolved, with the acknowledgement that there are things that you are too old for, you still should take the occasional walk on the wild side. It fits me, because while I am 'too old for this sh*t', I am still going to go to Nebraska!

See, it isn't like I DON'T KNOW BETTER! But what am I to do? As I stated in my previous entry, I want to move, not necessarily because Detroit IS Detroit. I have always wanted to 'go somewhere'. When I get settled, I am going to get it together and get my passport, and go somewhere ... just to go sit in a hotel in a forgein country (uh, and YOU think my anxieties is going to actually let me GO anywhere?!? If they let me actually get on a plane, that will be good enough!!)

"I'VE GOT A NEWS FLASH ... WE'RE ALL NERVOUS!!"

That was a line from Jon Voight, one of the baddies on '24' this year. Whenever you are going to do something that is 'great', there are going to be butterflies and goosebumps. You have to be better than all that, at all cost, because it MATTERS!
Think those cats in Apollo 13 ... how they kept it together when for sure, there was no room for error. How about the cats in ground control who had to figure a way to get them down?

Uh, I do think my margin for error is a wee bit larger than that. So if they could be nerveless, why shouldn't I be?

PLAYERS PLAY ...

... tough players play tough. That is what State plays by, and certainly has since Tom Izzo has been coach. I wonder if someone from the school asked Magic Johnson to come talk to him, since the Kentucky rumors were out. Magic said that he should be paid another million, and his salary should be on their level.

Some of the other things that frustrate Tom, having more top players come to him, like they do at schools like Carolina, Duke ... KENTUCKY, would prolly be cool for him. But can their be any doubts on his ability as a coach? I am glad he stayed!

SONG FOR THE DAY

I think I will be burdening you with some of my 'Soundtrack to Nebraska' for a bit.





The Sprite commercial song. If I am right, this is a song made for use in a commercial, not commercial release. Made for an ad agency (who has some great music in their commercials ..!), and while the ad is shot to get you to feel good, their is an undercurrent of sadness to the song, and the scene, is it not?



Even though it is just an ad, I felt the sting of jealousy at rarely being a part of a social circle. For instance, though the group of kids have each other, that ISN'T what the song is about, is it?



It makes the saying, "... if you were to jump off a cliff, I love you so much, I wouldn't jump with you, but race to the bottom to catch you as you fell," to mind.



Time will heal your wounds, I'll see you through

Your may fade from view, I'll see you through ...



Maybe they don't have much, but they have each other. I think that is why when I have disagreements with people, I try to swallow as much of the bitterness and rancor as I can. If I am going to be done with you, I already know that I can do that. It isn't in my nature though, and I feel as for that, I can keep on with my natterings and wanderings without ever having to cross your path again, anyway.


I think it creates too much bad karma. Besides, a nice run and some Astoria cookies, and I will be like, "What was I upset about?" Letting someone 'get off first' more often than not, allows me to get on with my life. In the end, that is what it is going to come down to anyway, getting on with life, right?

You know, one of the things I like best about songs that get to me, is that they are a prism, and a simple turn and you see the light in a completely new way.

If I were to describe what I try to see in music that I like, it is what Frank Black sang about once ... 'the spaces between places'. The music I like best do that for me ... whether it is Skinny Puppy or The Left Banke. Some songs turn a light on for me, and lets me see something that before I didn't even know was there.

Very few pop songs manage the trick for me, and should one catch me like that, it seems like I am being condescending, as if I really couldn't enjoy it. And a lot of times, I am, I guess. It seems that the songs have went through so much 'testing' and set to maximize sales and induce a loss of reason in the person that is hypnotized by its infecting beat and insipid lyrics.

Well gentle reader, if you have made it this far, congragulations! Make mine Marvel, and grant yourself an honorary No-Prize!! But really, if you did, thanks!



3 comments:

Myra said...

"Mother" and "Big Bang..."just can't get into those shows...maybe I'm just too old! Same goes for 24, maybe watched it once. Not much of a TV person, although since we got DirecTV...love the BBC! They push the envelope a wee bit more!

Beth said...

The Monday night comedies on CBS were hilarious. I advise watching last night's episode of "Two and a Half Men" online, because I think I laughed even harder than I did the previous week. It was sort of a guy's show, with them all hanging out and "sharing" things about their lives and about women. Oh man...I was rolling. Well worth watching!

Love, Beth

Her Side said...

I haven't gotten used to the idea of television sites like Hulu and Fancast either. We have a plan to downgrade the cable and use those sites to makeup for it - but maybe I'm too old to enjoy tv via computer too. LOL

It's good you're not a tv junkie who sets their watch around shows. Each season, I have about two shows that I need to "set my watch" for. Grey's Anatomy stays on that list. Others have breezed through like Heroes, Damages, Battlestar Galactica, Journeyman, and Deadliest Catch. :-)