Monday, March 30, 2009

Basketball Diaries

PEOPLE WHO DIED


Name of a song by the Jim Carroll band. That is what I know about him. Didn't see the movie 'The Basketball Diaries', BUT if you did, you could tell me about it. I don't mind reading reviews or care if you know what is going to happen because you have heard or seen a movie before. Most of what someone else sees isn't what I am seeing in a movie, anyway.

CAN THEY DO IT?

Carolina is looking like the 800 lb. gorilla in the Final Four. But both the Heels and State have very stern tests in the two Big East teams, Connecticut and Villanova. Don't remember (which isn't saying much,but work with me!) the last time a group of top schools were competing for the NCAA basketball title, but you could put each name in a hat and pull out someone who would be deserving of winning.

I wonder if there will be that psychic 'lift' that a region can get from seeing 'one of its own' or a representative do well on the big stage, should the Spartans bring home the big prize. Myself, I have been 'lifted' already, and by getting to Ford Field, they are validated in my eyes. But I have never 'sensed' the link, not in the way that I felt it with Tommy Hearns and Detroit, or when Michigan has done well, with Michigan State. I never really understood that, given the 'blue blood snootiness' of the folks in 'A squared' as opposed to the people in East Lansing. MSU has a prettier campus as well, one of my favourites. It reminds me of how Duke and NC State matches up ... Duke is in Durham, and is a little on the grimy part of town. State is in Raleigh, and is a picturesque campus.

Anywho, Ann Arbor is full of pretentiousness. I used to work in the Briarwood Mall (why yes Angela, I have worked and stayed pretty much all over SE Michigan ... how else would I be comfortable with leaving if I didn't know what I would be setting behind me?), and could not STAND how phony the people seemed, how stuck up they were. It is so not like that in East Lansing. Lansing is a cool town as well. I think that folks were frustrated in Ann Arbor, because they could see things that they wanted, so close to them, but far away from ever achieving them. The locals, were worn down from their lives lived in a oppressive desperation, because while the median income is high there, the opportunity for those who aren't connected to the industry (which is the University of Michigan and its maintenance), you seemed to be S.O.L.

Not only is she an AKA, she also went to Michigan. But I like her anyway! The reason that I am ragging a bit on Ann Arbor, is that somehow, State goes underappreciated by Detroit, and I have never understood why. Even with Magic Johnson in East Lansing, the mania created by the Fab Five was greater, and they never won anything.

While it will be a nice national feel good story, having the Spartans here in Detroit may not have that kind of 'lift' that something of this nature usually has. As incongruous at it sounds, Detroit is a Michigan town.

And I think that Washington is unnecesarily picking on Detroit via how they are roughing up the Auto Industry. The financial bail out was to help the folks in Vail and in the Hamptons keep working. Helping out the auto industry will help keep folks from climbing into the windows of your home when you aren't there, and making you uncomfortable when you are walking downtown. Not to mention your fave diner or dive bar open.

I think that the bigger 'trickle effect' would take place if the Big Three goes down. Period.

AS FAR AS A PREDICTION GOES ...

I am glad that things shook out the way they have, with the matchups. State v. Carolina ... uh, I have seen that movie before, and it wasn't good, though as for that, there is a precedent for teams playing in the reg'lar season and the result going the opposite way in the tournament ('Nova v. G'town in '85; Michigan v. Illinois in '89). I like the way that MSU matches up with UConn, and I think that Villanova matches up better with Carolina.

Would be disappointed if State doesn't win. There is no air in that. No matter where I am, Michigan will always be my home, and I never root against the home team!

APRIL SHOWERS ...

... brings more firm plans on how I am going to 'do this'! I have already mentioned that there is some 'creep' taking place, but I will see if I can work to head it off.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me about the Jim Carroll song! I'm pulled it up on Rhapsody and am listening to it right now!!!
xoxo
mj

Beth said...

I watched both State games this past weekend, and I was impressed with what I saw. Can they compete against a juggernaut like the Tarheels? Absolutely. Can they win? Absolutely. Will they? We shall see.

I know I'm cheering for them!

Hugs, Beth

Wes said...

Mark:

Thanks for the updates, I haven't been following sports much the last couple months.

(The Chicago Bulls) are about it right now! They just might pull it out of their but this year, but they will need a miracle to past the first round!

Thanks,
Wes

mrs.missalaineus said...

this is brilliant:

"The financial bail out was to help the folks in Vail and in the Hamptons keep working. Helping out the auto industry will help keep folks from climbing into the windows of your home when you aren't there, and making you uncomfortable when you are walking downtown. Not to mention your fave diner or dive bar open."

good stuff.

xxalainaxx

Ken Riches said...

Working so missed the State games, but I am pulling for them. Never was a fan of A-squared as you call it, very snooty and such. They are the martini set, and I am more comfortable with a kegger :o)