Sunday, February 8, 2009

FIGHT SONG

ULTRA

One of a handful of songs that I for certain used to 'get into character' for fights. Liking bands like KMFDM,
Ministry, Einstuerzende Neubauten, Skinny Puppy back in the early 90's gives me my industrial cred. Along with 'Just One Fix', these songs would get me going to do 'just one thing'.

What is cool about this particular video, is that the creator was 17 when he made it, and when the band saw it, they used it on a tour! That has to be a thrill!

Well directed, with a great story (the secret site where the gov't does their 'black genetic testing') , I made a comment that if this cat had directed the movie 'Cloverfield', it would have actually been entertaining!

Still listening to my cassette mixtapes on my runs, sometimes this song comes on and I find myself 'getting ready for a fight'. I can't really explain it to anyone, how different the words 'I am going to kick you a**' feel when I hear it, and the times I have to say it.

When I hear it used, in the conversations and I watch people act out the pantomime ... a small part of me wishes that it was me. I WANT someone to push on me, I WANT for someone to talk smack and let see what's what.

Usually, it means that I really am NOT going to do anything. After all, Sun Tzu (who's words you will start seeing here more than once) 'If you are not in danger, do not fight'. And I have to make sure that I understand that, and keep sudden anger out of my disposition. But I can't help but feel what I do, listening to this song.

ULTRAVIOLENT ROCK AND ROLL

That is what was said about a Ministry album, maybe 'Land of Rape and Honey'. Could have been their best album 'Psalm 69'. The latter release being such a hype monkey release, that I hear it 'new' each time I listen to it. Several songs, 'Just One Fix', 'Stigmata', 'N.W.O.' are in my 'Hot 100'.

'Jesus Built My Hot Rod'. Top ten. Top five, even. Hearing that stuff makes me think of how fortunate that I never knew about hallucinogenic drugs! This is why I also make the difference between 'Mark music' and the garbage that is currently on the airwaves.

'...Hot Rod' makes no sense, lyrically or aurally. You can barely understand the gibber-jabber of the lead singer. Sure, it craziness may slide in subliminally, but I still hold that it is far worse when you have some hip hop song as explicitly explain adult situations, clearer than Clarissa (and she knew it all!) ever did! And in my world, that makes a big, big difference.

...oh, and HE'S a winner

Capt. Chesley Sullenberger. His voice is as calm in the transmissions to the tower as it is sitting with Katie Couric during the interview. He was confident without being boastful, certain with out being arrogant. His humility is real and evident. I was glad that the interview showed that it wasn't smooth for EVERYONE, as the flight attendant in the back had some issues ... being 'collateral damage' to such a 'feel good story', sat uncomfortably with her.

For outsiders, it is hard to imagine how he has to feel, all the different emotions from happiness to despair, all being so close together. But he seems to have mastered the 'get over yourself' part of it quite well. He can handle it, I am sure.

One of the men on the plane, was the other brother in a family that had lost one brother to 9-11. That would have been such a hit. Not like 'Private Ryan' where your peeps go off to war ... but for such tragedy to strike twice, may have been too much for that family.

That is about it, on as restless a weekend as I have had in some time. Promise to get back into character for next week.

3 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Captain Sully demonstrated the consumate professional during his interview. What an inspiration.

mrs.missalaineus said...

i need to ebay the land of rape and honey.

it is a bad a$$ album!

xxalainaxx

Beth said...

I never got too much into industrial, for some reason. And I'm really not sure why....

I loved the interview with Capt. Sullenberger. I'm working on an entry about it--it totally got to me.

Love, Beth