Wednesday, April 2, 2008

... did tell y'all that I don't really ...

... that I don't proofread! (and the Police's, 'When The World Is Running Down ...)

AT THE LIBRARY

For free tax help.  I have done them in a couple of years, and I think I may owe some.  But getting that squared away is part of the larger plan.

FITNESS, FITNESS

A person can get a little intimidated trying to start a work out.  I don't know if I had put in how I got my start running for miles and miles and lifting weights, so I will.

When I started boxing, the thought of 'running for nothing' was not appealing.  So I would go to the gym, but not run.  I had won a couple of fights because I hit hard, but not because I had more stamina.  When my lack of conditioning caught me in my fourth or fifth fight, my trainer told me to start by running in place during commercials watching television.  Eventually, I took what I had outside.  And from there, I began running for miles and miles!

When it comes to fitness (notice I use that word as opposed to 'training' ... important distinction), the only 'competition' you need to worry about is the competitor you see in the mirror!  If I was someone's personal trainer, and we were in a gym, I would get them to 'tunnel vision' and focus just on what they are doing, not at what they look like to others.  There is a big difference from a 'shape' to 'functionality'. 

I look like I should lift heavier weights than I do.  But that isn't what I use my muscles for, so I don't.  Same with getting fit.  You are getting your body ready for what YOU want it for, whether it is keeping up with children or to fit in smaller clothes.  Being able to focus on what you are doing, and making sure you accomplish what you accomplish, is vital.

Finally, it is just the good feeling that come from working out.  Fitness is more than just how you look, it is how you feel.  Your body WILL RESPOND if you don't underestimate it.  It can hang ... the thing is, can you?  Of COURSE you can ..!

YES, I DO LIKE THE MOVIE, 'ROCKY'

The only one that I had a problem with was when he fought 'Clubber Lang', played by Mr. T.  Too much metaphor for me ... that does happen, but still, I didn't like it!  I think that Stallone really did a good job of showing what it is like for a boxer, coming up from the club fights to the bright lights.  The critics of his movies are just sad little nerdlings who Rocky woul prolly whup up on to collect on a loan they took from the mob!

When people think that I am too positive, I call on a scene in that movie.  Rocky has already got the call to fight the champ, and Mick goes to his house to visit him.  He goes, hat in hand, because he and Rock have had some harsh words only a few moments before.  HE wants his shot too, to train a fighter to fight the champ.

So Rock listens to him, and then he says, 'You know what I'm gonna get?'  And he starts slamming his forarm into the wall, to show that HE KNOWS he is going to get a whuppin' ...

... oops! Time constraints!  Finish this thought later, gator!

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, Mark, I get in the habit of proofreading since its part of my job.

hope you got your taxes squared away, still have to do that ourselves

I liked your advice about fitness/training; going to print that out to "mull over"

betty

Anonymous said...

It's a hard lesson but works wonders when you begin to perceive how you see yourself, instead of how others see you. (Hugs) Indigo