Monday, March 10, 2008

...y'all, it's Monday y'all ..!

WEIGH-IN

218.  I will take it.  It is a relatively nice day out, but I am not going to run.  I will do some 'up and downs' along with some stretching when I get back from my appointment.  I ran pretty good the weekend, and my legs are a wee bit sore.  I will take an asprin and cool it until Wednesday ...

THE TODAY SHOW

They ran a feature about a situation at Harvard University, regarding closing one of the fitness facilities to Muslim women, so that they can work out according to their faith, without the prescence of men.

Personally, I am all of the place on this issue.  That Harvard is a private institution and can set their own rules to the facilities on its campus, is my understanding.  Sure, the Muslim women need to have a space to work out, and if it is some conflict to their belief, I wonder is it anyone's specific obligation to fill that need ...

... oh right ... we call that 'free market business' here in the west.  If the need is large enough and profitiable, someone would fill it.  But shouldn't there be one provided if the private sector doesn't fill the need?

In fact, they touch on a Fitness USA in Dearborn, Michigan that provides Muslim women the space needed according to their faith to work out.  BUT, I don't think y'all realize that Dearborn is a Muslim enclave, with a HUGE Muslim populace.  You want to have a successful enterprise there, you had BETTER find a way to cater to Muslims.  That's what the free market is supposed to do, right?

I didn't get to see the stuggle that the Jewish areas had to endure to establish their communities.  What I do know is that they are highly xenophobic.  The Muslims around here in Michigan, are not.  They are more inclusive than the Jewish groups to me.  Every now and then, I hear about some incident in one of the Jewish areas in New York ...

Sitting there, I couldn't get a grasp on how I felt about it.  All the examples and experiences that I could recall, were not definitive at all.  Talk about shades of gray ...

THE DAVE CLARK 5

The DC5 are going to be inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame.  I had no idea that they were so big in their time, only that my Mom liked them as much as the Beatles.  If I remember to catch the ceremony when I come home, I will check them out.

... AND FINALLY ...

I will get to be called 'Daddy' again, if only for a few days.  Lexxie is coming, and I am going to be in Detroit for the rest of the week, beginning Wednesday.  I am excited, even at the prospect of seeing Pecan Sandie, who doesn't like me.  But she comes up and what does THAT say ...

I don't hassle her AT ALL.  She is really cool with my Stepmom, and since my own Mom sided with my first wife during our marriage, I make sure I take my lumps and smile.  It isn't worth it at all.

Just like I am going to do with Hutch.  I want to make clear that the anger I expressed was meant to be expressed in my diary, not with my friend.  I place too much value on our relationship to allow for something like my precived hurt feelings to get in the way or diminsh my love for him.  I don't know if that is the right thing to do, but it is what I am going to do.

That is also how I endure Sandie's cutting comments and thinly veiled barbs.  She brings our daughter to me ... I don't deserve that.  But she does, so I keep my mouth shut.  If she manages to hurt my feeling, I have my running gear with me ... just have to hit the bricks!

Will take notes on the visit.  Y'all take care and enjoy Black Sheep!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have a good visit with your daughter!!! I bet you are looking forward to that

betty