Thursday, March 20, 2008

... it's never too early ...

... to wait for the State game ..!

And they have a tough draw.  Temple is historically never an 'easy out', despite their record.  They tend to be a disiplined, well-coached bunch of kids.  But Sparty on ..!  State should win ... and I think they are just better than their possible Saturday foe, Pittsburgh (another nice town!), so that is why I have them next weekend playing the uber tough Memphis State Tigers.

Strobelite Honey (or the Party at Omega on the Lake)

This is during one of those 'lulls' you have in college relationships.  Me and my Delta Girl went out for like 5 years by my count, but there was one semester we kind of had to go our seperate ways.

I didn't know what happened, but I think it had to do with her pledging her sorority.  I guess in the Black Greek culture, Omega Psi Phi and Delta Sigma Theta go together ..?  Or do they date Alpha Kappa Alpha girls?  I really can't remember or care about ANY of them ... I like the frat I was in ... THE U.S. ARMY!

Anywho, me and my roomie decided to go to the party!  We took his car, and souped up '64 VW bug, and did the darn thing!  And the party was off the hook!

SU-SU-SUPERBAD!

The one thing about that movie I was a little disappointed in, was that it left us with too happy of an ending, with the two friends being able to look forward to their seperate futures without each other, very hopefully, with plenty of promise.  I have never had that experience, and I don't expect it here.  But the goofy pre party and party stuff they had ..?

I can't really describe the place.  It felt like it was some ways outside of Greenboro ... they called it 'Omega by the lake', and I don't know if there was a lake there or not!  The place was sooo packed, and if I didn't know any better, I would have thought I was in a movie, it was such a stereotypical scene!  Beautiful, silly, drunk in the moment (and too much Alyse(sp) consumption, it was just a fun atmosphere!

The way into, me and my roomie wiggled through the crowd, into the frat house, alternating pushing our way in, and passing pretty girls up over our heads!  Getting to the dance floor, the music booming throughout the house, I half expect Spike Lee to yell, 'Cut! Let's re shoot that scene!'

It was the most fabulously disappointing experience of my life!

NO, I CAN'T DANCE

But I am sorta cute and have more charisma than you have monkeys in a barrel!  So I worked the crowd, buying a few drinks and being recognized by enough school girls whom I saw on the yard.  It was so super good until I saw ...

MY DELTA GIRL!

Now, she wasn't there alone!  Her date was part of the frat throwing the party, and she was in his company.  I don't know what she thought when she saw me, but I know what I thought when I saw her ... 'Mark,' I said, '... don't get yourself killed!'  My and Delta had solved for the physical component of our relationship, but would study and eat take away every now and then.  He beau went to a college outside of town, but still with his frat brothers roaming around Greensboro, I knew better than to hassle her.  So I had put her on a shelf, and wasn't going to make a scene ...

... cause just as I got into the party on my own power, I wanted to leave the same way!

Our eyes met, and I kept stepping on through!  She had that 'look' that girls get when they find themselves facing possible drama between two males ... except I was no idiot!  he was a BIG CAT, and athletic football player, so you can just about imagine what WOULD HAVE NO DOUBT happened to me, if I had made a scene.

Yeah it stung a bit, but hey, it was a party!  I kept doing my thing, getting numbers and dancing with my two right feet (I am left handed!) and generally working the crowd.

Me and my roomie hung tough for a few hours, and the feeling of the night had the same feeling that 'Superbad' left me with, a night filled with good memories and near this, near that, experiences ...

... and I am looking forward to having some more of them in my future!

Sparty on!  Enjoy Dee-Lite!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope your team wins, Mark; always good to have good memories; knowing you will be making more of them in the days ahead

betty

Anonymous said...

I'm left handed, too.  Is it true that we live, on average, about 7 years less than right handed people?