Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Enjoying the Afterglow

FEELING LIKE I FEEL …

Fitness, fitness!

Today, I did what I call a ‘stage run’. I had to pick up my ‘scripts from the drug store and I wanted to go to Meijer’s to get my morning paper and the $1 coffee/donut deal. Didn’t want to ride out, so I did the left foot/right foot thing to get it all done.

Don’t know if anyone is familiar with ‘double time’, as in what you do in the military, but cadence running allows for ANYONE to be able to run. One of the important things with fitness is to keep your perspective. You are competing only with yourself. One of the things about fitness training, especially in groups, is worrying about the next cat who is either lifting the whole gym, or running like he is going for a gold medal. Do what I do … LET THEM. Worry about yourself. If you can lift one more rep on each set, or all you can add is 5 lbs., count it as a ‘win’ and go on. If you shave just 10 seconds off your run/walk time, that counts too.

Don’t worry about the next cat (or kitten!), focus on yourself and see where you would like to be. If you watch the show, ‘The Biggest Loser’, then you observe how they go from insecure in the workouts, to establishing their own goals and finally reaching the point to where they can flat out force themselves to work super hard …

You’ll get to that point to where you can feel comfortable with what you are doing. Make sure you keep your eyes on your lane!

THE DORIS DAY SHOW

Whenever you see the phrase ‘Que Sera’ in my diary, it is a nod to her. My Mother used to sing me to sleep with that song. I didn’t know that she couldn’t sing until I grew up! But she liked that show, and I remember watching it with her.

When I saw it at the library the other day, the first three seasons of the show, I had no choice but to check it out, along with the coming of age movie, ‘Superbad’. *SUPER BIG SIGH* … I don’t know what to say, or how to describe my feelings at this moment. They are strangely good, they way that bittersweet candies and key lime pie tastes good.

I am doing just fine.

THE DEAD ZONE

Don’t know why that has popped into my head (hey, given the subject matter, it is a play on words!!), but some times, things come and sometimes things go. Today on my run, I had a feeling that for better or worse, was one of déjà vu. See, leaving Mookie is but one step for me, the NEXT STEP, which I let my best sister in on, is one that Rickenbacker’s theorem says I can’t speak on. But today, but today, I CONFIRMED it as the worthy goal, and I have fixed my eyes on it.

Whenever people tell me that they are surprised at the things that I do, it is because for them, it is sudden. But I am working on them steadily on my own. I may at some point need some help in getting there, but I will get there.

The butterflies, the uncertainties, all the questions about what I don’t know in my undertaking of this project, only make me more resolute to make the attempt. It may only be a hill for others, but it is a mountain for me, and that is how I am approaching it.

When it came back to me, just like how things came back to Johnny Smith, I was dizzy with happiness. I wouldn’t NOT try to make this move for anything in this world. Yes Trudy, there is STILL a whole lot of Texas between Lubbock and Galveston* … but there is still no way around that any journey is begun with but one step …

Enjoy Men Without Hats!

*I was supposed to stop using that little ‘Mark-o-rism’ but I am still attached to it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that the reason that you used that is that I am reading that book right now and I mentioned it in my journal. I am loving it actually. You always make me laugh when I need one, thanks for that. I actually managed to track down my B/C and will have it in a matter of days! Yay team me!

Tawnya

Anonymous said...

seems like you had a good day, Mark; I remember watching the Doris Day show, now I will have that song stuck in my head all night

betty

Anonymous said...

I've got a secret fantasy about doing a duet with Doris Day.  One of her old songs.  Something fun.  I even practice to her records and have learned cool harmony parts...