Sunday, February 10, 2008

 
… no, I STILL haven’t found my watch …
 
Since it said ‘feel free to use’ on the web page, I decided that I would take this and use it for my journal entry …
The only disability in life is a bad attitude.
 
Sums it up pretty neatly.  I am disabled, but I do choose to use other words and phrases to describe my condition.  I have suffered brain trauma as a result of my lifetime spent boxing.
 
I don’t know what made me go apply for disability.  I remember that I was still bop-bop boppin’ along when it came clear to me that something was amiss.  I went and filled out the paperwork, went to the clinics and there you go, and here I am.
 
The good thing about my diagnosis is that I am still functioning at a pretty good level.  I have attended some college, and I busted a 31 on my ACT and 1190 on my SAT, in an era where those scores for a public school student from Detroit, was high.  I can still 'consume' pretty much what I have intellectually, but the processing ... that is a little slow and I am stuck with that.
 
ABOUT THAT WATCH …
 
Providence had me apply for Social Security.  See, many of the symptoms weren’t abnormal for me.  I mean I always would misplace things … one time, I left a fight purse in a suit coat and forgot it and it was like 3k!  Not to mention all the other little slips … nothing critical, but noticeable all the same.
 
I liked my last job, working in the Administrative department for a non-profit organization involved with the Big Three.  We had what I would call a ‘re-engineering’, and my responsibilities changed.  Couldn’t keep up, and got my papers.  Que sera and I moved on.
 
As I struggled in the provincial town I am in, I couldn’t place why or what was happening.  Again, what ever made me seek medical attention, I am thankful for.  They say God has a special place for children and fools … since I am 41, I guess that makes me the latter!
 
Shout Outs and Props …
 
Yeah, Mookie and I are going thru our struggles.  But this isn’t that entry.  I am thankful that I am here.  I don’t where else I would be, but this isn’t half bad!  I was in a dark funk for over two years though, as our relationship first began to fray.  Overall, it could be worse.
 
Nixxie and Pecan Sandie are two ladies that I have daughters by.  I am amazed at the lengths that they have gone thru to make sure that me and the girls have a real connection.  They spend their summers with me, one then the other.  The story as to why isn’t all that interesting, but it works best that way.  I do have a daughter from my starter marriage, Skye, who is in high school.  KT and Lexxie, respectively, lives in Carolina and Georgia.
 
I also have a friend in Nebraska … she is a super cool lassie.  I think we would have had a good relationship if things had broken differently.  I met her online, and I drug my foot before I got around to seeing her.  Que sera, but I like to think that we can make a real and lasting connection.  One of my regrets is that people that I think highly of aren’t in my life like they should be.  That is all on me.  From my college housemates, various trainers, and high school cats, I haven’t done the best job keeping up with them.  Why is that you wonder?
 
Time to be real
 
To maintain deep connections mean there has to be two parties involved.  I think that I was a little to self-centered (which isn’t the same as conceit, thank you very much!) and let the connection fade away.  I may trace some of the trails, just to see where they lead.  But as to why, it is simple to me.  I look back and wished that I had made the calls and had the dinners with my few friends as that is what they are for many of us … FEW.
 
So if you leave a comment and you happen to get an email back, don’t be surprised.  That is the ‘Nigel’ in me coming out.  I am not going to take anything for granted if I can help it, from friendship to gifts and blessings.    I try to read other journals as they come along, but with a slow computer and no technical know how to get anything working better, I can only read a few. 
 
… no, Denial IS …
 
… just a river in Egypt.  I won’t crimp on what I feel or how I interpret things.  I was told that I can still trust myself for the most part, and that is what I am going to do.  But I ain’t your huckleberry and don’t aspire to ever be.  I call my way of thinking ‘Imperial thinking’, as I consider my mind and soul sovereign territory.  I listen to folks, but I MAKE my own decisions for my own purposes.  To me, that is a redundant statement until you consider how many people DON’T function like that, making choices based on something less than good for them.
 
Felt like writing … that is all … still processing an argument that got THAT BAD … when I am finished doing that, I will work it out here.
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope you got it worked out by now, Mark; writing is a good way to work things out in my head and make some things make more sense; I feel it is the same way for you too

betty

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you had that challenge to face.  Wow.  I'm damn impressed with the way your mind works and your skill with words.  

R

Anonymous said...

One of the wonderful gifts of these journals is being offered an insight to the author. If you hadn't told me about having to be on SS and your head. I wouldn't have known. On the pages here you come across as an intellectual, who thinks rather clearly on his choices in life.

I do know the feelings your forced to under go on SS personally....They tend to make you list and face the worst things about yourself to please their requirements. I've worked all my life from the day I stepped off the bus on my own at 16, until my deafness defeated me. Amazing thing is my work history didn't mean a damn thing to them.....The unfortunate would be the back woods community I live in doesn't hold a lot of sympathy for deaf individuals on job opportunities....So you bite the bullet and do what you have to , because you'll be damned if your not bringing in some money in one form or another.

I love that saying, it's one of the reason's why it's on my journal. To remind me, I can't do anything about the disability, but I can do something about my attitude. (Hugs) Indigo