Friday, February 1, 2008

... loose thoughts ...

Finn, Joe and Olivia …

Three unique and completely different people brought together by the unlikeliest of circumstance. Isn’t that how ALL of us end up meeting?

Mookie is the ONLY woman anyone has ever introduced me to. Nebraska is the only woman I have met from online (but I did get together with a bunch of Moz fans for a Morrissey concert in Las Vegas). My life long friend Hutch, was a customer on my paper route. My BFF from my last job is the only true friend I have ever met on a job.

How do we meet as people? I long forgotten many of my child hood chums … and that was prior to diagnosis. The people in our lives are all brought to us through extenuating circumstance.

The movie ‘The Station Agent’ is a movie like that. Finn has inherited a isolated train depot in some small obscure New Jersey town. Joe is a local lug, who is running his father’s snack truck, and Olivia is an artist who has ‘personal demons’ of her own that keep her from her own potential. That three totally disparate people can grow close together and become friends is one of my driving principals.

It makes me shake my head at how resistant we are to something different. We are all different so that we may grow to know one another. The irony to our fear of ‘alien culture’ is that we all have far more in common than different.

Right now, I am a wee bit tired of doing it … but overcoming our own uniqueness ( read: EGO) and sharing yourself with another person, is one of the best things about life. I am stunned at how people write things off out of hand. This is not to say that there aren’t things that need to be experienced. I have never taken drugs or been a part of an orgy. I don’t want to go swimming, but I would like to bungee jump!

Whenever I make a connection, however inconsequential it may seem on the surface, I make a small indentation in my heart, so that should our paths cross again, there is a spot for you in my life.

The few people who bother to read my ramblings, to the people at QD. The folks that I speak to on the bus, and the people that I see at the library. I try to make a little room for everyone, even those who don’t think they like me …

Even when I get tired of ‘manifesting’ (that is what I call it, being social with my intimate, closets circle of people), I eventually suck it up, and get back into the game. I won’t be able to get what I want if I stay on the sidelines …

Super Bowl … can’t pick a score … can say the Giants are going to win ..!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the Giants! take care of yourself

betty

Anonymous said...

Mark, I'm with ya, Go Giants, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

Connections with people are important, amazing and oh-so-precarious.  They are often not at all permanent.  

R

Anonymous said...

One of the things I've always embraced about life is it's diversity. I love that about the friends I have, so different, yet so alike in quite a few ways (For one they all seem to accept and like me for who I am, not an easy thing to do in my book..).

I wish more people could embrace the difference as unique and individual as the person itself. Great post hon! Me? I'm a NY'er so of course I'm rooting for the Giants. (Hugs) Indigo