Friday, February 29, 2008

... at the Library

TWO MINUTE HATE

More snow has fallen ... this is the LONGEST FEBRURARY OF MY LIFE ..!  My ire is up, because I am not racing home to cook dinner ... Mookie can get that ..!  I did the bathroom ... UGH ..!

In college, I roomed with two girls for a hot second.  It was amazing at how much crap they accumulated in the darned bathroom ..!  Yes, there were awkward moments when they would have their male company 'after hours'.  No, I wasn't linked to either of them EVER, but they worked my nerves with some of the 'hygiene habits'.  In fact, I have been stunned by almost EVERY woman I know has awkward hygiene habits.  Ladies, make a note of it ... your stuff stinks too!

Joe Juneau

In the latest issue of Sports Illustrated (cover date  Feb 18, 2008) there is an article about a hockey player, Joe Juneau, and how he is putting back into an Inuit community in Canada.  Though the story is fairly familiar in that he is a former big time athelete who is giving back to a community, that he went WAY OUT of his way to give back is.  The commitment he made to this community is overwhelming.    Though he isn't married, he took his girlfriend and their children  to live in the isolated town. 

His girlfriend who said in the article, "If he were coming here to open a business or something, I would have said no.  But he is investing in a mission that is bigger than himself.  This is a grand projet humain ..."

Good stuff.

Fitness Stuff

I hope I remember to weigh in Monday.  I know that I am under 220lbs, but that was also a weight I posted while I am sick.  This is actually the first time in my life I have trained with the objective of losing weight.

As boxer, I never had to 'cut' weight.  When I fought at 178, the fight that I weighed 182, meant I was a heavy weight.  I felt that because I was running and training hard, that to lose weight for the scale was putting me a disadvantage.  In my mind, it was easier to compete with confidence that I was at my full stregnth than to lose the weight and worry if I had weakended myself.

This is the first time I really paid attention to how my clothes have begun to fit on me.  The pants that were once a skoosh snug, are loose in the thighs and ESPECIALLY in the hips.  My stamina is there, but I am definitely going to have to get use to not being as strong as I once was.  Hopefully I will start going back to the 'Y' again.

This is actually kind of neat, this losing weight thing.  I have always been told that I should be a trainer ... being able to get this off myself, reinforces the theories that I have regarding getting in shape and finding the motivation.  Have to look into getting a certification or something.

The Big Finish

Now normally, I would break my neck trying to get home and cook for the girls.  But I can't find the motivation.  There is snow on the ground, and I don't think that it is worth it.  Period.

I am going to watch 'Bubba Ho-Tep' on DVD.  As much as I gripe about the city, I do look forward to being in Detroit.  I can extend my social life, and see how well I will cope on my own in a decent sized city.  There are a couple of good films I would like to see, and I can go to some of my favourite haunts ... the Astoria Bakery is CHIEF among them ..!

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are losing weight.
yep our stuff stinks too. LOL

Anonymous said...

I think you would make a good trainer; you are motivated to get into shape and it shows with your work outs and your losing weight; I need a shot of that myself

I think that's neat about that hockey player; I'm going to check out the article; thanks for the heads up on it

hey, what's tomorrow! March 1st!! hoping it starts to get more spring like your way; but of course, having lived in Montana for 8 years; we were used to getting snow through April and even into May

betty

Anonymous said...

It's now March 1st and even more snow is falling here in NY....at this rate I'm willing to say the longest winter of my life. Yes, our shit does stink too. We don't go around bragging about the latest fart fest though, at least the women I know don't.
I think being a physical trainer is perfect for you Mark. It's something you could use to your advantage no matter what city you were in. I hope you pursue your certification to become a personal trainer, you would be perfect at it. (Hugs) Indigo