Thursday, December 20, 2007

... subject ..? We don' need no stinkin' subjet ..!

… fallout from Kevin Everett …

The article was fairly balanced, considering it is a sports magazine <SI., Dec 17th> and you have to figure it would paint the rosiest of portraits …

Kevin’s quote, used as the cover caption, symbolizes so much, for people who have setbacks and feel lost. “What am I going to do?”, people will ask themselves when things start to go badly for them. They lose hope, their faith <in themselves AND in their divine faith> and what ever it is that they have undertook, for them it lies behind Dante’s gate … the one with the inscription that reads ending “… abandon all hope, ye that enter.”

How can you do that? How can you give up on yourself to the point you lose all hope? Honestly, what is the point of faith from without if you can’t muster faith from within? For me, it is beyond comprehension. You hope for what you can’t see, but you got to believe in what you can.

I know that I can do the things that are in my mind, because I can SEE them. If not as concepts of my imagination, then in the world, like the article about Kevin. What I took from the article, bolstered my philosophical bent, the qualities that I would like to make a part of me, the sentiment behind actions, were for the most part reaffirmed.

A man is what he thinks about most of the time. I don’t have to worry about whether or not I am a good person … I think good thoughts, make good choices and do good things. What kind of person would you think that makes me? I am good looking, not because anyone told me <though to be fair, I have heard it or had it indicated a lil’ bit!> but because I do the hygiene and the exercising, and wear clean clothes <for the most part; I will wear my sweats and a pair of jeans to death!> … so if I don’t look good, it is just TO YOU, cause when I look in a mirror, I absolutely LOVE what I see.

Not that I don’t have my issues. I don’t live in a vacuum. But I am a firm believer in that there isn’t a challenge that can’t be met and overcome. I know that I can be annoying, and I can be mean. After all, I am human. But that only means that I am not perfect, it isn’t a justification for being a jerk. It is a matter of choice. I won’t choose to be anything that I don’t want to be. Period.

In my ESPN Sports Center highlight, I can see getting back into school, and eventually getting some kind of degree. I want to get to a bachelor’s, but disappointment will set in if I don’t at least get an associate’s and/or commit to a program of lifelong learning, just taking classes here and there. I miss the environment of a college nearly as much as I miss boxing.

Time to shove off … going to do my employment thing with Ms. Neal … got a good feeling, good vibe ..!

Damn! I feel good ..!

No comments: