Wednesday, December 5, 2007

... just another small step forward

…and I am feeling irie …

The other day I was wondering about ‘shutting the eff-up’ and not chatting people up when I see them. That lasted all of until I woke up. Went to the dentist and did good in the office by not joining in any conversation. I did overhear the ladies talking. Sounded like some shelter talk - homeless, battered women. Did hear the one talk about some boyfriend coming in and out of her comings and goings.

Listening to the one lady, an older white women, with life’s wear on her face talk, it sounded pretty darn harsh and environment. The younger looking girl would ask is they fed, washed clothes, allowed families or visitors, and every answer was either negative or bleak. I sighed, remembering my stint in a shelter, and was thankful that it wasn’t like that for me. Yet.

When I decide what I was going to do for dinner, I wanted to pick up lettuce for a salad. When I plan out a dinner, it is my aim to make it as comprehesive as possible. Main course, veggie, drink and if the girls’ have been good, a dessert. I wanted a salad and went to the independently owned and operated grocery to pick some up. Little more pricey, but when you complain about big box stores cluttering up things, you got to wonder how much did you shop the family owned places.

There was a teenage girl out ringing the bell for the Salavation Army. Since I was going to be in and out, I asked her if she could look out for my bike. She said “Yes”, and I shot into the store and picked up my salad. When I came out, I asked her if she was hungry, and she did the teenage non-committal thing, where they shrug their shoulder. I could tell by her slight smile that she was intrigued by the offer. “I don’t know if they have anything hot to drink,” I said. “But if you are hungry …”

She perked up at that. She mentioned they had some hot food in there, and I went in and picked up and overpriced burrito from the deli. Gave it to her, told her I thought it was cool what she was doing, ringing the bell for the Salvation Army, and rode home. Dag … I thought I wasn’t going to do stuff like that anymore! But that isn’t me. Not altruistic, but I feel that I need to show my appreciation for people who touch me when I am out. Okay, I will be more careful, but to just stop … not gonna happen …

Nebraska is warmer …

Received something interesting in the mail today. Don’t quite know for sure what it means or even if I am going to break it down any further; now THAT is something that I have been able to control. When I first got tired, that was one of the first areas I was able to pull back from. Not worried about being ‘got’ as much as I was. Either you do or you don’t. From where I sit, either you want to try and you do some leg work, or you don’t and my leg work is to keep steppin’ …

There was nothing in the letter that I found surprising. The only thing that got to me was the line about me looking older than my last picture. Okay, so sue me! I am 41 ..! I like the grey on my face because I think it is cool. I remember when my first wife saw it, and she laughed … but she still wants to get at me … so go figure!

Nothing worthwhile ever comes ‘easy’. Usually when someone says it was an ‘easy accomplishment’, they mean that it was easy because all the steps to insure success was taken prior to the action. Which of course, results in an easy task. There is a lot for me to do before I get close to being ready for my next life. All I can do is what it is I can do …

 

No comments: