Thursday, December 13, 2007

… a grand don’t come for free …

Man, did I speak too soon ..! I had just came in from being ‘out’ … the good meet with Ms. Neal and two stops, one at the Library <which figures to play an important role in my days … hopefully ..!>, and at Meijer’s to pick up some strawberry cake mix …

I had planned to make dinner, meatloaf with rice and peas and I wanted a strawberry cake with chocolate icing. It was a box cake, but I cut up fresh strawberries into tiny pieces to throw in the cake. I liked the way that it sounded, and pictured how it looked …

… I was excited ..!

Mostly I do the cooking around here, because I have to pull some weight some kind of way. You got it, cleaning and washing clothes, homework help, I am all over it. In fact, last week, lil’ Mook, who is a straight ‘A’ student EXCEPT for her algebra class, in which she has the most narly ‘D’ in, finally let me help her with her work. She had a test the next day, and was doing a little cramming. When she finally got her results, she scored an 82 … low ‘B’, but when you preceed that with mostly lower scores, I will take it.

For someone who is not thrilled with where he is at, I would seem as though I am right at home. But there are small things … and dinner was one … starting with I didn’t bring any ice cream to eat with dessert, nor did I do a salad. I try to make a complete meal, main course, veggies, salad, along with dessert. It is hard for me to want to do that kind of stuff, along with having to wash the dishes from the previous night, cleaning as I cook, and then getting everything out on time … you want some ice cream, YOU get some ice cream!

Not only did I not finish off the dessert, I didn’t get flowers for the table on what was a sunny late fall day … small increments, but still my little way of saying I have had enough!

… yeah, right … but at least I KNOW …

Okay, now back to leaving the meet. I was flushed and excited. I needed to stop at Meijer’s for the cake mix, and had wanted to stop at the branch library which was directly on my way. I picked up some CD’s to copy, and was out to Meijer’s. Picked up the cake mix and to the house.

And that when it started …

Came into the basement, chatted for a sec, went up to start the meal. I wanted to get the cake done, then dinner. So I popped that into the oven, but first I had to go next door to get a cup of flour. When the cake was done, one layer stuck to the bottom of the pan …

Went to the basement to ponder whether or not I as going to run to the store and get another, as time was growing short. Then I looked for the CD’s … I didn’t see them by the computer … where could they be?

Called the branch library, and they said that they did not see them where I may have left them. The girl said that if I had left them on a table, then the library pages would have immediately checked them back in. So I hung up and called the store … and that went nowhere.

Here I am, no cake for dinner, no CD’s to listen to or money to replace, and the Mook’s will be home soon. Getting a grip, I decide that I WANT that cake ..! Yeah, their bellies will get bigger, but I want this to look and feel a certain way, and it wouldn’t without that cake!

Nabbed a bus, went to the store and checked for CD’s and grabbed the mix. Scooted home, cut some more strawberries <so much for the tarts on Sunday>, and re did the cake. Surprisingly, the girls made it in not long after I put the cake in the oven <and yes, they were looking for dinner>. They had to wait, it is all in the prep stages now. Thankfully they did so quietly, and I got it all together … and that is when it hit me …

The clerk at the library and I talk about music from time to time. I checked out the latest Interpol CD, and they are my newest favorite band. We talked about them and more music stuff. When I got outside, I saw that I had my old favorite band, The Smiths, with me. I thought to go back and chat him up some more, then thought better of it, and put it with the library CD’s.

See, I knew FOR CERTAIN I had brought The Smiths home … so it stood to reason that if I knew The Smiths were in the house, then the rest were too … and I went downstairs to find not only The Smiths …

… but the rest too … still, a plus day for me ..!

No comments: