Thursday, April 29, 2010

OUTTA MY MIND ON THURSDAY EVENING

BRET MICHAELS

Never knew much about him other than he exemplified rocker douchebag. Did think that maybe there was a little more substance to him since he was a contestant on 'Celebrity Apprentice', but other than that I didn't think twice about him. I mean, hair metal REALLY sucked balls and I used to think the stoners and poseurs who were 'fans' were sort of pathetic too. I mean really, your fave band is POISON??

Hearing about his brain hemorrhage and folks putting things together with his getting conked in the head at an award show had me thinking about my condition, dontcha know. But my last scan didn't show any change and I haven't fallen or bumped my noggin in some time. Still, I simply will never know if something is going to happen. Even with my running and working out (been schlepping to Anytime Fitness in Berkley after all... could have went west in Garden City but it was a 'six of one' kind of call)

WHITE FOLKS SOMETIMES DON'T GET IT

At least a lot of 'em don't. There are enough people who are out pushing their positions on the crap immigration law in Arizona. I will have to sit down and really find where I stand on it, because something does need to be done about immigration. It is going to lead to arrests because of racial profiling. Or will it?

Aren't officers supposed to have cause to ask about a person's status? For instance if some brown skinned brothers were driving in Tempe, with proper tags on their plate and a vehicle in good condition, they can't be stopped for being brown, can they? Don't a police officer have to find them out of code or violating a law of some sort before any ID thing is looked into?

Like I said, though I haven't really followed it enough to speak on what the law says, the intent is clear. It is reminiscent of the 'sundown' laws that places in the south (and the north too, isn't that right DEARBORN!!) where a black person better not get caught out in town after sundown otherwise there would be a problem.

Something needs to be done about immigration out on the federal level. Desperate people sneaking in to the country IS a national security issue. The panic and fear in Arizona by some is thinly veiled hostility.

The NFL draft concluded and there were a few troubling stories that caught my ear. One was about the NFL classes on fiscal responsibility. The NFL makes it mandatory for drafted rookies to attend workshops about how to handle their money. Post-NFL, 76% of those players will file for bankruptcy. I am sure that some lose their money from simply unfortunate investments... I fall into that category myself. But the most fall on hard times because the party ends so suddenly for them and BAM! There they go and getting back on their feet is very difficult.

Being resentful cause all these butthead jungle bunnies are running around earning millions for doing something that is worse for the human body than COAL MINING... hey, they shouldn't be. Instead of being jealous and spiteful, stop using the products advertised and watching the sport. As if their earning the money they do deserves animus, as if football players earning the money that they do are meant to be dehumanized... like Dez Bryant was by Miami Dolphin GM Jeff Ireland.

I am not sure where asking about what this kid's Mother has to do with his ability to catch a football, but good ol' boy Jeff thought he had good enough reason to ask. Dez wasn't exactly a choirboy at Ok State. Those stories were public record and if they weren't enough to keep you from being interested, what does what his Mom has to do with his ability to play football?

Putting this with the story on Myron Rolle, the former Florida State standout who went to Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar, you see a picture of institutionalized thinking, a insensitivity that is bigger than racism. It has to do with how the REAL power elite feel and how that thinkingt is blinding people who know better.

In the Myron Rolle story a NFL coach, a BROTHER, Raheem Morris, is said to have asked a screwed up question. Faced with the oppotunity that only a few received, he asked Myron 'How did it feel to abandon his teammates to go to Oxford?' I was like, 'no he didn't!' As long as you are smart enough to read the playbook and understand the signals, that is as smart as you need to be in the NFL. I wonder if the same kinds of question were asked of Pat Haden when he did the same thing?

Now that I am here with my filabustering post, I don't think any the items I've mentioned is about racism, at least not entirely. Believe me, I know it is there. But I do think there is more ignorance and exploitation involved. This is about as sensationlistic as I get folks!! Brother simply trying to move his mind thru where it is and get to where he wants it to be.

7 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Bret has actually been doing pretty well on Apprentice. I hope he recovers, and from what I have heard, he is going to spend more time with family (he already has mucho dinero).

mac said...

Some of those Hair Bands were pretty good. Not most of them, but some, is all I'm sayin.

It is racial profiling to pull over someone because they're brown. Whether or not that is recognized is another thing.

betty said...

I do agree that something has to be done about immigration Mark. I like that we are a country that welcomes immigrants, but I think they need to come here legally and doing what is required to do it legally. When my sister and her family lived in the Netherlands for 2 years a couple years ago, they had to get papers to be there and for her husband to work there. So shouldn't we expect the same for people that come to our country?

if a police man is profiling someone they will find any reason to pull them over or stop them. Ask my son.....he's been pulled over for so many different reasons that never panned out to anything because of what he drives and how he looks

I hope Bret Michaels makes a complete recovery; honestly I know nothing about him or the NFL draft

betty

Unknown said...

You got me to thinking - and although I can't go over the whole chain of thought - you brought me to a realization. You DO know why all those White Red Neck Crackers believe the 'Creationist' thing, don't you? Because if they didn't - and if they accepted the notion of Evolution and all - if they accepted that the world IS more than 6 or 7 thousand years old - then they'd have to accept the fact that all of their ancestors - ALL of their ancestors - came out of Africa. We are ALL Brothers.

DB said...

I think people deserve the money they make if they make it legaly, even if it's by catching a football.

They also deserve a Rhodes scholarship if they are fortunate enough to get one.

DB

MacBug said...

as to the AZ thing. I'm ashamed of my own parents right now. My father in particular. They live in AZ (have for well over 20 years) and are VERY republican. Now, of course I think something should be done about immigration. But racial profiling has NEVER been okay. *sigh* and /End rant.

Beth said...

I was never a big Poison fan, either (you have a pretty good idea of my musical tastes), but from everything I've heard and read (and seen on Celeb. Apprentice), Michaels is a really decent guy. I'm reading now that he's out of the hospital and walking, and expected to make a recovery. I'm really happy for him and his family. Oh, and I've also heard doctors say that the injury that he suffered at that awards show probably had absolutely nothing to do with this...it was long enough ago, and if a bleed like that is going to happen from an injury, it happens right away, not months later.

I think you already know how I feel about Arizona's immigration law. Do we need to do something on a federal level? Of course, we do. Is this the way to go about it? No. NO. Now there is talk about not allowing teachers with "heavy accents" to teach. Guess these people never had an Asian professor in college.