Tuesday, April 20, 2010

THE RETURN OF THOSE NY-QUIL NIGHTS

DON'T WORRY COURTNEY, I DO

Courtney Love is on the AOL welcome screen. I have posted before how I feel about her in relation to Kurt Cobain's life. No one will ever be able to talk me out of how I think about her role and about her as a person.


I do like her music, though. She has a new album out and she did a live session for AOL to help promote her stuff. And a couple of the songs did tug at my heart, even though as she on the welcome screen said: " You can hate me and like Hole". There were a couple of her songs that got to me straight away, and because I don't want to over power this entry with too much of her melancholy, I am going to post only one of her songs that I felt immediately, "Pacific Coast Highway"









Maybe I will grow tired of her and her music... she is part of the damned conflict where I can find something that redeems a person enough to value their contribution to the universe. The name of her major label debut... "Live Through This" is a phrase that keeps me going no matter how dark things may seem at the time.

And despite her skeletal frame and collegen-infused lips, the small, acoustic performance has a quality to it that may not be present on the studio version. Would like to hear it and hopefully it will be able to channel the energy of this live version for me.


The name of the song hooked me to the point that I was hoping for the excuse to like the song. Knowing what she is capable of as a musician, the title 'Pacific Coast Highway' made me think of what kind of feelings attached to a tune like that. As I have done with the blog "My Soul Is A Butterfly". I really enjoy her entries and I am pleased to see that she thought enough of my comments to come back and see what I scribble digitally on my blog.


Her suggestion that I check out a 'girly blog' about relationships wasn't at all out of place. My first thought was to admire her and the good that there is obiously in the world, even with the right wing piegons and some religious followers would have you believe. Whatever. Reading the blog and its advice, it took me back to being a teen and mining women's magazine in an effort to understand them a little bit. I don't think that women are that hard to figure out... the more complicated things profess to be, the simpler it is to gum things up. Think about 'The Pepsi Syndrome' and tell me that you don't think that is true!!


I checked it out and thought that if as 25% of the lonely women who read that blog and others like it, as well as the countless articles and books written about the topic, actually took the advice and stopped finding reasons to play the victim at every opportunity...


... as I think Courtney is trying to do in this song. But I can identify some of the conflict she may have went through in her life. I hear that too and since that it could be possible that my desire for redemption can be seen as well, I am going to give her the benefit of a doubt!!


Well I am finally running out of gas. Tomorrow is the start of my next trip through the fail that is the Wayne County Friend of the Court. Wish me good fortune with that.


And I am out!!

4 comments:

Monica said...

I saw her on the front page of AOL but, I had no intentions of listening to the song. Of course, I come and see her on your post and decided to listen. Yeah, I opened my mind a wee bit. =) I liked the song, as much as I hate to admit that! Now, I guess I'll go check out the other songs.

Unknown said...

I like the song, too. I can't say I have much respect for someone who has so little for herself, but like you, I do like her music.

There is a lot to be said for reading the 'girly blogs'. Except for you and a few (and I do mean FEW) other guys, my blog reading is almost all female - as is my audience.

And I'm fine with that. And so, thankfully, are they.

Unknown said...

Nope, I don't like Hole or CL, never have :)

Good luck.

betty said...

okay I have to admit, this is the first Courtney Love song I have listened to (and its not that I have anything against her, I am not that much into music, which is really funny if you consider the fact husband is a musician). But I did listen to most of this song and I liked it. Will I listen to more of her stuff, probably not. But I'm glad you posted what you posted about her and her music, Mark, because otherwise I probably would never have thought of listening to any of her music

my son, when girlfriend lived here, actually got onto Google and not sure how he worded what he was looking for, but he was trying to figure out women, particularly his girl (although they might have broke up, I'm not too sure......). He came to the conclusion that he wasn't sure he would ever be able to figure her out based on what he was reading online (which I'm not sure what exactly he was reading). I don't think we are complicated that much. My pastor had a great sermon about marriage and what women want and what men want; insightful indeed

betty