Friday, March 5, 2010

THE SPEED OF TIME

HOURS TAKE DAYS TO PASS IN YEARS WHERE YOU WONDER, 'WELL, WHERE DID THE TIME GO?'

Thanks for everyone who shared their opinion on my last entry about 'zero equals one' on finding that special person to share life with. Or, if they thought that there exisits a 'one in a million' kind of love for people and if it is rare to find a true love, but not unique to the point that life on earth is considered unique.

I believe in both views, and so do several of you. There is a likelyhood of that extra special one in a million person, randomly living on earth with you. But what if that person speaks Chinese? How do you meet and get to know that person and they know you??(Now, the story that I am referencing DID have an example of something like that happening... which just goes to show..!) But what is more likely is that there is a person who is willing to accept and love you, warts and all, provided that you can do the same. Together, y'all can make a worthwhile relationship that goes the distance.

That is what the 'one in one hundred thousand' approach to love signifies to me. The thing about the former is that it takes minimum effort to think that way. Leaving love up to chance when there is little in our lives that we leave up to chance, whether we are aware of it or not, makes no sense. I am not arguing against the 'one in a million' love, but that it is more likely that you can find happiness with more than one person, if both parties are willing to work at the relationship.

Also, I think that the idea that there is more than one person, but you are happy with who you are with, is more evolved. In many ways I see it as a more insightful, philsophical approach to love. What creates the uniqueness isn't that 'you are the only one' for someone, but that 'you are the one that I have chosen to be with'.

THE WRITING THAT IS ON MY WALL

Of the regrets that I have while doing it my way, was the thought that maybe I should have 'zigged' when I 'zagged' with someone. Why that made sense, I can't figure out, but it should have. It is what led me to think that maybe I had met my someone and if it was meant to be, I should be open to a relationship reboot.

But I had to ignore two things. One, is the fun and possiblities that comes with moving on. Because I have made sure to apprieciate the rising tides of my life as well as the lengthy lulls between them and was well aware of what I risked in looking back. No one said it better than Satchel Paige, who said, “Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you .” Bought sense is more expensive than taught sense is another old saw that is in mind, and I spent enough already on the notion that I may have already 'met' my match. Even if I have met that person, stuff happened, and it didn't come to be.

And I am totally cool with that. For real.

6 comments:

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

HHmmm...I beleive there is someone for each of US...now it may take several someone's to get us to "The One". I believe in love. I believe that we are with the person we are with for however longer their part of our story is necessary and needed. Each relationship, encounter, affair, liasion, tryst, grows us and sharpens our ability to truly know what it is we need and want in a soul mate...if we are listening and learning from the lessons.

I love someone right now, but in my heart I do not beleive it will go on much longer. But I know it is just what I need right now. This is how I am choosing to see the ending of this love affair.

Anonymous said...

Mona was my best friend in high school- strictly platonic.

We tried dating when we were in our 20s, and it was a disaster of epic proportions- broken hearts all around. We went our seperate ways.

We were both widowed young. When my wife died she was the first person I called, when her husband died I was the first person she called.

Now we're both 46, and it feels like we're finally getting it right this time.

"What a long, strange trip it's been…" :-)

Sage Ravenwood said...

Seeing as I had more misses than hits on the relationship scale, I gave up ever finding that one out of however many. Then Paul came around and changed the equation. Is this forever after? I've learned the best of things in life have faults. So having said that I enjoy what I have now and don't take things for granted. It keeps things fresh and I'm prepared for whatever comes or doesn't in my life. (Hugs)Indigo

Ken Riches said...

If we wait for absolute perfection, something we have made up, we may end up waiting forever. I think the answer is somewhere in between.

mac said...

Like Indigo wrote,
Sometimes, when you least expect it, Love just slaps you right in the face. It comes from nowhere. Like a thief in the night, it steals your heart when you aren't looking.

Other times, it's right under our noses and we don't even see it.

Yes, it is a combination...I think?

Senorita said...

I think people find love in different ways. For some, there is that special one in a million person. For others, they can carry on special relationships with others.