Monday, January 18, 2010

Stuff Floatin' Around

HAITI

There was a lot of noise over two comments made about the human tragedy that got some attention. Pat Roberson and Rush Limbaugh said some pretty ugly things that got folks panties in a bunch. I saw some back and forth on both topics, even weighing in a little. Then I reflected on the little boy who clutched at Katie Kouric crying out in pain and anguish,"Why," to no one in particular...

Then I saw in a blog a statement that pretty well summed it up for me. " All of that is just background noise to a tune that we should really be listening to: The people of Haiti are suffering here and now, and they need our help. Period. We can debate their history and why they are a Third World country later." So that is what made Rev. Pat out of line.

What I got out of Rush's statement was the same thing I took from the opportunism of the Cheney-Bush administration in the aftermath of 9-11 or Reagan's backers getting the hostage release pushed to after the Presidential election... LBJ and the Gulf of Tonkin and really, you mean the Japanese flew across the ocean and we had no idea..?

There is MORE than enough air in those comments to give life to them. And with Limbaugh's comment, the highlighting of a problem that is an every day thing in the black community and is something that isn't exclusive to Black folks. Where ever there is pigment to be accounted for, the light shade is culturally favored.

But because white folks only know black folks superficially, they don't see where it matters for the most part. Other ethnic groups have the same kind of hassle within, but since I am 'A squared', I talk about what I know as an African American.

What made Limbaugh's comment out of line to me, is that as long as blacks are diffused politically and unwilling to demand more of their elected officials, why rock the apple cart? Anywho, I hope that I have said enough about Haiti and its tragedy. The Rush issue is one that is treaded on regularly enough in my day to day and gets mentioned often enough subtly, here.

MOVING RIGHT ALONG

Appointment television has arrived with the new season of '24'. Is it just me or has Freddie Prinze Jr. become a full fledged stud! That cat is fine!! I am jus' sayin'...

I have also been thinking about a lot of the comments that I have recieved recently. They convey concern, and that is very much appriciated. I don't think I am in any 'trouble'. Me and the SFC still get along as you would expect friends to get along. Any kvetching done here won't directly related to 'us'. She is a good egg and I don't think that I am too bad myself!

There is a certain amount of consternation... and I have hopefully had my 'crying spell' over it. Tomorrow I go to speak with someone who assists Brain Injury patients and I am really looking forward to that. Anything that will ultimately remove my attention to how much I don't care for Alexandria is good. However long I am here, I aim to make as much as I can.

Not a lot of details... words to fill up the page, I guess.

4 comments:

betty said...

my pastor, the other day at church, who tries not to speak out against other pastors, went against his own commitment not to and said he thought Pat Robertson needed to retire and needed to keep his mouth shut. I tend to agree on both accounts. He did say that Pat Robertson had done great with his ministry in the past but by the statements he continues to make, it is soooo hard in the believer community to deal with them. Realize he says those things for whatever reason he chooses to, 99.9% of the time they are not Biblically correct.

good luck with your appointment tomorrow Mark

betty

betty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
betty said...

I accidentally posted the comment twice so I removed one, just to let you know why the second comment was deleted. got button happy here, LOL

betty

Anonymous said...

I'm really starting to wonder if Pat Robertson has mental health issues. In 1791 someone performed a voodoo ritual, so God sent them an earthquake in 2010; does that make sense on *any* level?