Tuesday, January 12, 2010

ISN'T IT DREAMY..?

There is a lot more to Canada than friendly, self-effacing and humble hockey players and loggers!! I only have the one CD by The Stills, the aptly titled 'Logic Will Break Your Heart'. It was a wonderful release and whenever I listen to it, I am lost at why they did not become a bigger band. I thought that a lot of stuff on that disc was great background music for all the young adult filler drama's on the telly. Considering all the insipid stuff that reaches the level of 'artistry' (since I know that people who may read this thinks other folks are the 'bee knees', I won't pick), it frustrates me when a band like this isn't crashing through the social consciousness.

Or didn't. Either way, the Stills should have been way bigger. I could listen to this song, and stuff like this all day! The insecurity in the vocalist's voice conveys the doubts that creeps into hearts and minds, struggling to keep a relationship above water.

Is that what the song is about? That is what I am guessing, which is what makes stuff like this so cool. Creating a piece of art isn't about filling in the space between two points. That is what a lot of crap pop music does and fails at. Art is what you find IN BETWEEN things. Or something like that.

ADDRESSING ISSUES

As far as me and my girl goes, we are still cool. I have to get over my insecurity and paranoia until I get to a place I want to be. We should be able to transition smoothly to where we both would like to be. And make no mistake, it is all about me.

Can't share 'why' it is me, but it is. The SFC understands and that pretty much is that. If anything, something that I snagged from Thomas LB a while back seems to fit:

My earliest, & happiest, memories pre-date WWII,They involve a glass slipper & a helpless blue rose In a slender blue single-rose vase: Mine Was a story without a plot. The days of my yearsFolded into one another, an easy fit, in which I made money & spent it, learned to dance & forgot, gaveBlood, regained my poise, & verbalized myself a place In Society.

I've been thinking about my 'earliest & happiest' a lot lately. And that is a big reason for my discomfort. I've given and am willing to give. But when it has come to giving and doing for myself... and I am tired of feeling that I have lived that way, not making sure that I put the same kind of effort in making me happen as I should have.

1 comment:

Ken Riches said...

Glad to see that things are still good with you and SFC. That warms my heart :o)