Tuesday, April 8, 2008

... yes, SPORTS as LIFE ..!

THE JAYHAWKS WIN ..!

Honestly, I didn't have a dog in the fight.  I was State all the way, and when Memphis beat them, it was all I could do to remain interested in the games.  That makes me thing of another odd thing I have noticed, but that is for another day.

The annoucers seemed ready to annoit Memphis as the next uncrowned dynasty, as they have won the most regular season games over the past three years.  Winning the title would have somehow validated this era of basketball for the Tigers.  But I heard a line recently, 'We plan and God laughs', and I thought of all the headlines that were ready to proclaim the might of the Memphis Tigers.

But I have said all along, teams that don't make their free throws don't win big games ... and that was proven correct.  Make no mistake though, this game wasn't 'lost' as much as it was won by Kansas.  They had to make shots and that big three pointer at the end of regulation was huge.

The game was close all the way, until the Memphis seemed to have taken the measure of the Jayhawks near the end.  But perseverance has served many well, and in spite of the Tigers lead, the Jayhawks never quit playing.  And that they came back, called to mind a quote by George Karl - 'Sometimes, believing can result in miracles'.

That is something to keep in mind, even if you have good reason to feel down.  There is but one way to gurantee that something won't happen, and that is to give up all hope.

HAVEN'T BEEN FOOLIN' ANYONE, HAVE I?

Now, I admit to my flaws ... here and there.  I may be pitable, but I am beyond being pitied.  I have done my share of 'not so good things', and there are enough reminders of them ... heck, you can say that I was Mookie's first true love ...

... and I broke her heart.

I don't think that when you have your sins counted, that there is going to be a distinction between 'small' and 'large'.  So if someone wanted to say that I am getting whatcomes to me, they are well within their rights.

Personally, I don't think so.  But that's me.

Even though I don't practice a particular 'faith', the prinicple of 'penance' is one that I have incoporated in my secular philosophy.  I have come thisclose to finding happiness in relationships, and I remember boasting to my first wife, when she would warn of possible pitfalls of any kind, 'Oh, that kind of stuff happens to other people, it doesn't happen to me!'

Still think that.  So I guess it is easy for me to turn right around and feel 'upbeat', because I know what is going bad, can't last, and if it does, then I have to suck it up and change things around.

I guess you could call this not only an attempt to find happiness, but an exercise in undoing karma.  I told my BFF, that I had hurt a few ladies, and for the what it was worth, felt bad about it.  That, and $1.50 will get you a ride on the DOT!  Doesn't make up for the time and energy and LOVE that I was cavalier (ooh, good word right there!) with.

So I haven't been thinking that there wasn't some 'get back' out there for me.  Maybe this is it, and I can start out if not even, having some 'balance' in my account to go out and 'spend' on another adventure.  If what I have to offer doesn't work here, that is cool ... I still value myself, and think on the open market, I will bring back something more in line with what I am worth.

JESUS BUILT MY HOT ROD (whiteline version)

Ministry peaked with this release, 'Psalm 69'.  What message they were trying to invoke, I can't call.  I had liked their previous releases, but this one knocked me out of my shoes!  I remember one reviewer calling it, 'ultra violent rock and roll'.  So for YEARS I would listen to this cd before matches!

The 'Whiteline Version' I got from a used cd shop in Raliegh.  I hadn't heard it before, and it just caught my eye, as I am not into getting the various remixes of songs.  But with different mixes of the songs from that album, it rocked!  But none more than the mix of 'Jesus Built My Hot Rod'.

Listen ... GET THIS!

Nobody with a good car needs to be worried about nothin' you understand!(Yeah, I think I do!)

Listen ... GET THIS!

Nobody with a good car needs to be justified(And I'll tell you why work! And I'll tell you why work!)

I'VE COME A LONG WAY SINCE I'VE BELIEVED IN ANYTHING, AND I'VE COME HALF WAY AROUND THE WORLD (What are you talking about!)

WHERE YOU COME FROM IS GONE

 WHERE YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE GOIN' TO, WEREN'T NEVER THERE

 WHERE YOU ARE ... AIN'T NO GOOD UNLESS YOU CAN GET AWAY FROM IT ... (you understand..? YEAH! you understand..? YEAH!)

THERE'S ONLY ONE THING LEFT FOR ME TO DO MAMMA ... I GOT TA DING A DING DANG, MY DANG A-LONG, LING LONG!

I figured they cropped that from a movie ... sounds cool ... the Gabby Hayes comes in with his gibberish singing ... and they start tearing up the set!  I wished that I could have seen them perform this live ..!  This song flat out rocks!

Not everything has to have a point, and mentioning this song is proof of that!  I can remember how I would feel getting my hands taped, this track blaring in the stereo, the other boxers wondering, 'what is up with this cat?' cause I was so INTO this joint!

Kansas winning left me feeling good.  Another team, a team that of the 'Final Four' was prolly regarded fourth.  Yet here they are, flawed, yet full of desire and will, national champions.

Way to go, Kansas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still happy and still a little shocked.  Did that really happen?

R

Anonymous said...

I just love that line "We plan and God laughs"; that is sooo true in my life at times

betty