Monday, March 17, 2008

... just awry vibes ...

WEIGHT CHECK

Calling it a ‘win’ to be at 220 … had gotten down to 215, but between trying to be a host and a slight foot sprain, I will take it. I sorta cheated, by simply NOT EATING a couple of days … it was easy to do, as being in a new environment saps my appetite. I wonder if Nebraska and my Best Sister picked up on that when I was in Chicago.

Made an appointment at the health clinic … APRIL 10TH … long time away, and I hope I remember to tell the doctor about my foot, which should be okay by then …

TODAY’S WORD … MYOPIA

In the few hours that Mookie and I have had to chat about her situation, I have been trying to be strong and concerned. When I started to speak about the opportunity that this presented her, and how this might be what she needs to go start a new life, with HER Best Sister, who lives in Vegas, her reply was interesting, to say the least.

“You don’t want to live out in Vegas.”

To be honest, I like Las Vegas despite the results of Stephen King’s book, ‘The Stand’. I just have good memories of Vegas, not just as a fight town, but as just a nice place. Same with the Phoenix area (which I also suggested to her), and it goes without saying, Carolina.

That she mentioned me, as a part of her future in any way shape or form, gave me pause. Not to consider a future somewhere with her, but that after that long conversation we had a couple of weeks ago about our relationship, she seems to have forgotten it or is conveniently overlooked it.

I get it, but I don’t. My heart isn’t with her, it isn’t in this relationship. Dealing with the ‘what ifs’ regarding Sandie and Lexxie is enough for right now. If I did not have business in Detroit to attend to, I would pull up stakes and go out west, somewhere. MY Best Sister already said she wishes I could come live with her. But she lives in Chicago, and I don’t feel like being swallowed up, at least not right now.

… and I'M NOT A DAISY EITHER …

When I used to play pick up basketball in college, I fashioned myself as a shooter/scorer, launching jump shots from all over the place. My foot speed usually got me the step that I needed to get my shot off, and I was a decent shot.

One particular game, I was really on, shooting jumpers from everywhere. The guy who was guarding me, must have thought that I was standing a little out of range. Someone told him to ‘D’ me up, and he took a step out to me … and I shot and it went in …

So I told him, ‘It’s going to take another step.’

Well, Mookie has to take another couple of steps. I haven’t been setting myself up for nothing, and if I have to remind myself of that every day, then I will. Teamwork, talking and making plans, that stuff should have BEEN happening. She is nervous and with good reason. This is the only job she has ever had, working there for over 17 years. I don’t think she even knows how to look for a job.

*sigh* I feel the guilt already. I am out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, don't feel too much guilt, I would imagine Mookie is in panic mode with her job being eliminated, but I'm sure she will do well with what she chooses to do next or perhaps live next. Its a good place for her to be, she has a lot of choices out there and people who care for her. You just need to keep on with your plans and do what is best for you; if it wasn't good before the fact she was losing her job, it won't be good now, make sense?

betty

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! I hope your foot feels better soon :) Don't forget to make yourself your number one priority :)     Melanie

www.journals.aol.com/mellykoko

Anonymous said...

I think that she remembers, but with the job thing is is easier to try and hold on to what is familiar. I did that for ten years before I up and moved to Michigan. I finally had had enough and up and moved without telling anyone.

Tawnya

Anonymous said...

When you said she doesn't get it, I think in another entry, the Vegas comment makes sense...she doesn't get it.  The conversation for a few weeks back took place but was it real...for her?  I'm sure the job situation has her stressed out too, and it is not an easy market.  Vegas is probably a good move, for her.  Stand your ground, you don't need to re-hash it all, but if you remain consistent, and firm, she'll eventually get it.  Honestly, I think you know that severing ties with her is best for all involved, 'cept maybe lil' Mook...you're gonna miss that girl!
xoxo ~Myra