Sunday, March 2, 2008

... butterflies in the stomach

C'MON, C'MON ...

Good Von Bondies song ... and you do know where THEY are from, don't you? Feeling strangely fine, I can't wait to get back to Detroit later this month.  Get a chance to have there rare 'two for one' deals, where I get to hang with TWO of my girls.  That is a difficult thing to manage, with all the female hormones going hither and yon ...

On '60 Minutes' they did a feature on an organization that offers free health care.  They are used to going to some of the underserved areas of the world, but they are making an inroads here in the United States.  It was heart-wrenching to see the great sacrifice that was being made by the organization and the doctors, the patients who came from great distances to be seen.  They spoke with two ladies, one in her late twenties who had an operation for cervical cancer, but could not afford to go for the follow up visits.  It had been two years since she has seen anyone ... and unfortunately, there may be a recurrence of the cancer ...

Then they spoke with an older woman who is on SSI (! so SHE hit home) and needed glasses.  Even though she was in to be seen, she was among the last group and the optometry people were packing up ... they would see her, of course being interviewed on '60 Minutes', but I didn't like how the reporter, sorta condescended to her faith.  That kind of stuff irks me ... I never mock anyone's faith ... even in here.  Just so not cool.

WHILE I AM AT IT ...

I am a self-effacing cat.  Call me what you like, it matters little to me.  The stuff that DOES get to me, I won't let you have the pleasure of knowing it ... it is rare that someone gets my goat.

But things do.  The '60 Minutes' smart aleck did.  Movies and TV shows mocking full-figured women do to.  To me, cats like Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence ('The Klumps and 'Norbit' for the former; 'Big Momma's House' for the latter) are among the worst kind of punks, right up there with the drivel that is rap and r&b nowadays.  Sticking to the 'comediennes', it bothers me when someone pokes deliberate fun at the kind of women that I adore.  Now, I have dated smaller girls ... Nixxie and Sandie were a couple of 'em.  But I like full figured women, and I don't know why. 

Both Eddie and Martin tap into a latent self-hatred in the black community IMO.  It is destructive and it weakens the collective self-esteem.  I wonder how many people have laughed at those horrible caricatures that they potrayed, and then had to go home to something that resembled those film folks ... and love those people.

I remember I was angry with Mookie and I sorta said some things about her being, well FAT ... and part of why she drew my ire is this ...

Sitting here, watching 'The Biggest Loser' and various other health shows and then to have a partner who can show you the way, frustrates me.  Sometimes she complains of aches and pains, and even if she just walked a half hour a day, she would watch those things, along with a few pounds disappear. 

Anyway, I don't care for the taunting and the teasing that those particular cats did.  It is bad enough for full figured women in open society as it is without having to be teased like that ... PARTICULARLY black women.

THE BIG FINISH

Tomorrow is going to be a good day for me.  I plan on getting out of the house early, so that I can go to the mall and walk it.  then I will go to my therapy session.  It isn't supposed to rain tomorrow, but then it was supposed today ... oh, State won and won big!  Hope they finish strong and roll into the NCAA's with some momentum.  Anyway, y'all have a good day!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so glad State won!!! enjoy the day tomorrow; sounds like a good one :)

betty

Anonymous said...

I watched 60 Minutes, and it was heartwrenching, not only that the need is so great in this country, but that so many had to be turned away.  I didn't get that feeling from the correspondent, that he was mocking her faith...maybe I was drying my eyes at the time.  I  then watched Extrme Makeover, another tear jerker, topped off by the Big Give...dang I was crying all night!
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

your blog has a good name

good luck in all your journeys and always remember we create the demons that keep us separate from one another.


feel free to visit the rant anytime-- always good to gather perspective.