Monday, February 4, 2008

...Heroes always win ...

Prologue: I think that I am falling OUT of love with Mookie. This is a very new feeling, and I thought I should mark it down. If anyone wants to glean any insight to how I am feeling, they should read the short story by J. California Cooper, “The Life You Live (May Not Be Your Own)”

The rest of this personal event is under my ‘actionable’ policy, and that is what it is.

… On with the show …

ELI MANNING

Now how good did it feel for the quiet little brother to show up as HUGE as he did? Everyone questioned his inner resolve all along, but it was always there. From forcing his trade from the team that picked him in the draft, to not responding to critics in the press, he just did the things that he had to do.

The game reminded me of a fight that I watched … two closely matched fighters, though the one was given a decided edge. It wasn’t pretty and neither boxer enjoyed long stretches of dominance. The winner fighter just kept doing what they had to do, even when the opponent would get flashy and looked to pull away.

That was Eli. He came out and calmly led the Giants to a field goal, only to be answered by the Patriots touchdown. The long halftime often works to the underdog’s detriment, because if they had built up momentum, it gets taken away with the extra time to get out of rhythm and for the opponent to find that key strategy to win.

But the Giants had all the answers. Wouldn’t have mattered if the Patriots had the Giants game plan or not. The fates were aligned with Eli Manning.

When the time for talking is done,

And those with the courageTo take destiny by the hand …WATCH CLOSELY--For miracles happen quickly,

And heroes are born in the blink of an eye

-Author Unknown

That is the poetic version and it was present in the game, to those who didn’t pay close study to it, or even know much about football. But the reality is more in line with this quote by Bobby Knight … “Winning isn’t fun. Winning is hard work.”

Another reason why as I have matured, I stopped blaming outside forces. Acknowledge them as a factor, but NEVER as a reason for not reaching your goal. I know when Ihave slept in and not run in the morning. I know when I have hung out with my roomies and not been studying for class. And I know when I should have been working hard instead of doing just enough to get by.

FINALLY …

… yes Virginia, the good guys DO win ..! Big day, for me … lot of stuff to do and responsibility to take on … See y’all when I see you ..!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was a good game; I agree with your thoughts on Eli Manning

hope the day goes well and you accomplish all you need to do

betty

Anonymous said...

Mark, I like that quote about winning, have a good day, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

And heroes are born in the blink of an eye ......beautiful quote! (Hugs) Indigo