Sunday, February 17, 2008

Getting back to square ...

Weekend Edition …

Listening to a story about the significance of the candidacy of Barack Obama and Hilrary Clinton. It was interesting to see how it was divided in the late 1800’s - early 1900’s on which of the groups should gain the right to vote, women or blacks.

To me, it is telling that Sojourner Truth sided with the suffragettes over the black men, represented by Fredrick Douglass. Interesting as a black men, because that is of significance to me.

Just sayin’ …

KITCHEN TIME

How many people like folks standing over their shoulder in the kitchen? One of the problems I have is that I think that I can cook, but Mookie is less than good at cooking. Getting ready to crock pot a roast, and she doesn’t think I should sear the meat before I put it in to the pot. Wait Mark, wait … she goes to finish dressing for service. I am going to sear my roast!!

Gonna do a little garlic mashed potatoes to go with it. I want to get the gravy right … got some box blueberry muffins. I don’t home make muffins. Want to ride up the street and get a bag of salad, and maybe some ice cream … that is a good song, the New Young Pony Club rock!

So, what are you gonna do ..?

I mentioned ‘penance’ in my last entry. I just have to reflect back on one of my girls to know why. So I can sit still as the storm rages and think. ‘Find a happy place, find a happy place.’ Not gonna front, given the intelligence that I have, the time is there … using it wisely will be the big thing.

Sure I can type, and I can think. My body still obeys me, if as clumsily as ever. That is more than enough. I have full confidence that I will work it out. I am not new to the rodeo (I should check the library for that movie … ‘Mommy Dearest’ cool flick ..! Faye Dunaway works those shoulder pads ..!). I thought that I had the Russell Crowe ‘3:10 to Yuma’, but it is the Glen Ford original. Even cooler.

This is about as ‘ugly’ I am going to get in here. Not because it is that ‘hush, hush’, but that sometimes you can talk yourself out of stuff if you talk about it too much. Besides, that stuff stresses me out, and I don’t need that!

So I am going to get that salad, some apples and a gallon of ice cream. Going to make some blueberry muffins and have a nice roast dinner. Might even watch the NBA All-Star game too. Might even get the nerve to take a picture. The shot on my homepage or whatever it is, is from my trip to Chicago.

I think it is a nice shot. I don’t like pictures, but ‘braska wanted to take one. I told her that I liked it, and that it look good because she took it, and she had made me happy.

Was true.

Everything being what it is, action is a long way out. Ugh …

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a crockpot cookbook, and on some of the roasts, it does call for searing the meat.  Something about locking in the juices...I have NOT made a roast because I didn't feel like searing.   Maybe its personal preference.  If you think you can cook, you can, because you attempt to...and trying is half the fun.  You'll eventually get better.  Isn't that with most things...practice makes perfect.  Your dinner sounds great!
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

Gallon of icecream..and blueberry muffins....ok, where do you live???? Can I come over to your house and play?

hehe..ok ok...I know..portion control...ok, well I could have 1/2 the muffin and a 1/2 scoop of icecream, lmao..

Enjoy the game!

Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/skinnymclinky/myweightlossjourney/

Anonymous said...

dinner sounds delicious!! I hope it is enjoyed by all!

I never heard of searing a roast, but I bet it comes out great before you put it in the crockpot; I'll have to try it sometime

enjoy the day

betty

Anonymous said...

"Mommie Dearest" is a true trash classic.  I think the quote is "Don't fuck with me fellas -- this ain't my first time at the rodeo!"

I've watched about twenty times.

R

Anonymous said...

I love the saying too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the meal....I love cooking. If someone wants to help, I don't have a problem with that either. Just "don't" get in my way or tell me how to do it....Oh yeah, you should see me on Thanksgiving, you need divine intervention if you step in my kitchen that day. I'm glad you seared the roast. It keeps it tender and locks in the juice....

Sounds like you have a wonderful meal in the making! (Hugs) Indigo