Tuesday, January 1, 2008

... let's go work out ..!

Yes, I know that ...

... yesterday was New Year's ... maybe a little drunk, tired, with the stench of the beer garden you were in ... that is fine, because that is what made me train even harder ...

... coming from where I resided as teenager, one of my trainers pulled me aside ... this cat I would spar with was a tad more talented than I was ... the trainer told me, "Mark, you know this cat has been hanging out all weekend, laying up with his woman, and he is going to come to the gym on a Monday night, knowing that he is going to be able to get away with sparring because YOU ain't going to make him pay ... HE DON'T RESPECT YOU ..! But see, I know that you have been running, and I know that you are in shape ... go in there and make him WORK!"

No, I don't care about what happened last night ... today, THIS MORNING ... I am working ..!

... on to the program ...

Speed run (for me, it is a short run ... mine is one and a half miles around my subdivision .... try to at least get a half mile in of steady but challenging pacing on yours ...

Sprints - I step off approximately 50 yards ... I do five to seven sprints ... beginners do three and work your way up. 

The importance of this part of training can't be underestimated.  With this as a focus four days a week, you should see benefits after a month.  The faster pace and the sprinting boost your cardio system, and gives your body a quick calorie burn (that is, if you didn't eat breakfast ... work out BEFORE you eat ... the why on that is coming later)

... Inside ...

I call this my 'chair routine'.  First, get in the push up position, but on your knees.  In the service, this is how they asked the female's to do push up, so I have always associated it with the female push up ... do 25 of 'em, with the focus on keeping your back straight.

Then sit in a chair and sit up straight, with your knees perpindicular to the floor.  You should be at the edge of your seat.  Hands behind head, and go down as you would if you were doing a sit up.  Again, stop at 25.

Back on the floor, calves on the seat you were in.  Crunches.  For crunches, I have a problem with form.  Putting your hands behind your neck, the urge to pull is hard to overcome.  I just roll my neck, lock my fist next to my chin, and crunch.  Yes Ginny, I want 25 of these too.

Repeat 3 times for a total of 4 sets.  Done?  Good, now hit the showers ..!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could charge money for this....maybe write a book??

R