Friday, March 25, 2011

MORE THINGS THAT I THINK THAT I AM THINKING ABOUT

GLEE

First, I am beginning to wonder if ANY TV is too much TV to watch?  I can understand if people shied away from what constitutes as 'hard news'.  There is so much spin going on and what gets me is that the damage usually has been done and often is nearly impossible to reverse.

I will get to 'Glee' in a moment.  But the Libya thinks stinks soo bad.  Has anyone forgotten the last time a Democratic President followed a UN coalition, fronted by the French, into a military intervention?  Going after Qaddfi smells like Vietnam... but that is me.

This week's episode and the firefight over bands who would not license their music for use on the show caught my attention.  The contrived situations fray my nerves as they unnecessarily stretch the realm of believability.  While I am sure that there were kids who were confused about their sexuality, does anyone think that it is to the extent that is portrayed on the show?  Also the storylines are simply too farfetched for me to believe that anyone can relate to anything on the show.  Ryan Murphy, the show's producer, runs the show like a house party when the adults are out of town.  He indulges himself in every warped fantasy that a picked on kid, still coming to grips with his identity, has in when they are in high school. 

Not only that, with the newfound 'popularity' he has among all the 'cool kids', the celebs who do cameos and pick up roles in the middle of a season like Gwenyth Paltrow, he carries himself like a nerd kid who finally gets the invite to hang out at Muffy's place after the game.  Because so many popular kids now like him, EVERYBODY should like him.

The Kings Of Leon disagree with him.  After not giving Mr. Murphy permission to use the band's music they got into a verbal spat where Nathan Followill, one of the brother's who make up the KOL, had some harsh words for Glee's producer.  Before condemning Nathan's remark as being homophobic (and he has since apologized for his words), I think it should be noted that he was provoked by the santicmony of Ryan Murphy.   It was his statement to the effect that the KOL was denying 6 and 7 year-olds exposure to arts and education and that they are a--hole's for not letting the show use the music.

After the shots were fired between those two, Murphy slammed Slash from Guns 'n Roses in the same article and using the interest in other big name muscians in working with the show (never minding that the artist's he spoke of are 'over the same hill' if the highly successful G'NR guitarist is past his relevance) in a way that owe a lot of its meaning to showing 'how wrong you are, they like me' more than it supported any argument he could have made at the refusal to license the band's music.

I had been struggling with my mixed feelings for a show that I should be a huge fan of, but was not quite into as I even expected for a little while.  From 'appointment' to 'eh, I guess I can miss this repeat of 'Criminal Minds' (on Ion, dontcha know!) and watch 'Glee', the show has become as bad at showing the various 'micro-minorities' as any other program does in their characterizations.  But this post about how unrealistic the character Artie is portrayed pushed me to speak about my feelings about the show.

The show has constantly devolved as it has risen in popularity.  I don't if the 'it factor' the show has translates into ratings or if it is a demographic thing, that the show optimizes the marketing targets, but I look forward to when its run is over.  It is no longer saying anything and is more an exercise in delusion.

MORE STUFF THAT I FOUND MYSELF WATCHING THIS WEEK

...or last week.  Whenever.

'Our America with Lisa Ling' did a show about on-line love recently and I had to check it out!  The show focused mainly on a young woman in Columbia and a mid - 40 cat from Texas who took part of the 'marriage tour' that she was a part of.  Apparently there are matchmaker services who bring men from other countries to meet available single women in Columbia with hopes of making a match.  Of the ten men that were a part of this group, only the Texan made a match.  The Columbian woman that was featured, not selected even in the first cutdown.

Listening to the 19-yearl old's lament about the shortage in available men confirmed something I already knew... American women aren't the only ones dealing with issues from immaturity to stability, when it comes to finding a partner.  In fact, she was no stranger to taking this kind of risk, as she had one relationship via an on-line matching website result in her being a single mother.  But from what I inferred about her, her home and education, I had to wonder what did she have to offer a cat who could afford to take such a tour that was 'hit or miss' when it came to matching people up.  There were a couple of hundred women vying for the ten men on this particular tour and she simply did not have it.  And of the ten, only 5 made any kind of connection with anyone and only one would leave you with the impression that the match had any hopes of lasting, and that was with the Texan.

Unlike the young woman, the Texan was realistic in what he was looking for.  He was a bit bland, but very stable.  While he had a vasectomy, he was not opposed to meeting a woman with children.  Additionally, he was looking for a mature, older woman, with character meaning more to him than looks and definitely more than youth.  He was able to match up with an attractive 40-something with a pre-adolescent daughter.  They got along smashingly well, so well that as the video will show, that you have to think and hope that they did make good on the connection that was established.

HOW LONG CAN THIS GO ON..?

 I also watched 'A Feminine Touch' on TCM recently.  I thought it was a sharp, crisp comedy about a professor who wrote a book that contained a chapter on jealousy that was seen by the publisher as the 'hook' to make the rather schloarly work a best seller.  Professor John Hathaway (played by a rather dashing Don Ameche) would quit his position at the University over an ethic stand on the eligbility of a star football player.  He and his wife, Julie (Rosalind Russell), would set off for New York, and meet with the publisher Elliot Watson (Van Heflin) and his able assistant (Kay Francis), who secretly was in love with the immature and playboy publisher. 

So you had the analytical professor, his less complicated, very attractive wife on one side; the level-headed and smart devoted woman and the man-child on the other.  Eventually each would get to act from their opposite's view and come together with a higher level of understanding for the person that they were with.  I was taken with how the problems that men and women have now were not that different from the problems that existed in the past, making the words, 'those who do not learn from history...' as prophetic as the war in Libya is to Vietnam.

6 comments:

SweetAngelAsh17 said...

I do not understand "Glee" at all. I watched a part of an episode when the Beatles were featured. I think the gay kid was singing "Blackbird" and it was awful. I'm tired of that show trying SO hard to be relevant to adolescent issues. What's next - video game violence can be conquered with Muse and Stone Temple Pilots songs. Ugh ridiculous!

I caught the end portion of the "In America" and felt bad for that girl with a kid. The older couple seemed to genuinely like one another so I hope it lasts!

mrs.missalaineus said...

i hate glee. personally, i think a much more realistic show could be done about the band kids or even the drama club kids.....

xxalainaxx

Sage Ravenwood said...

I tried watching Glee for all of three episodes and stopped. It seems like a toned down version of Fame (which I liked). I honestly think their exploiting the issues more than helping them.

As for entertaining television, I like Detroit 1-8-7, but I'm wondering if they'll keep it on. I'm a die-hard fan of Supernatural. I know the latter won't float everyone's boat, but it does make you wonder about the things that cross reality.
(Hugs)Indigo

Toon said...

I'm a Glee fan, but I admit the writing is terrible.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I can't bring myself to watch Glee. No way. No how.

Love you, buddy.

Anonymous said...

We don't have cable anymore, and I can't say that I miss it. The things available on the internet are much more interesting to me at the moment.