Tuesday, March 23, 2010

THE STORY THAT YOU'VE BEEN TELLING YOURSELF IS NOT THE SAME ONE THAT EVERYONE ELSE IS READING, EVEN IF IT IS IN THE SAME BOOK

OF COURSE, I SAW THE GAME

Korie Luscious shot to win the NCAA Tournament game for Michigan State over Maryland put me in the mind of the one Christian Laettner made for Duke against Kentucky in the 1992 tourney. The play developed clean and clear, with very little frenticism to it. Korie took two dribbles to get 'right' and once the shot left his hand, it looked exactly like a game winning shot should. As the game was winding down, the SFC mentioned how she had hoped that it would come down to a situation almost exactly how it unfolded... that the Terps would take a lead but that State would come down the court and win by a three point shot as time expired. While I would have preferred a more comfortable win, for her, the Maryland people desereved to have their sports heart ripped out.

Adding to that is a report showing how badly they are doing with graduation rates for basketball players at College Park. NO players of color recieving degrees in the last ten years. I don't know what kind of case that Coach Gary Williams can make justifying the low rate for all of his players, not only the brothers. I don't like his rationalizing ... sounds a lot like the rationale that a Tea Bagger uses to be against national health care.

Another sports event that caught my attention is the Red Wings latest victory over the Pegnuins. Sidney Crosby started a fight with Henrik Zetterberg, who is so not a goon. Sid got frustrated and took it out like a bratty kid who is upset when things aren't going his way.

Maybe Ovechikin 'goons it up'. I can't help that my hockey interest bloomed when cats weren't as protected as guys are now. To me, he plays competitive hockey and he can take what he dishes out. 'Sid the Kid' on the other hand, is a prima donna. Great talent, but feels entitled to have it his way all the time.

FABLES OF THE IMAGINATION

A yes. A no. A straight line. A goal.

Leaving the 'provencial town that I once jogged 'round', I finally could picture the life that I wanted for me, the one from long ago as a child. Even then there were certain things that I understood. Work, was one. I always had some kind of hustle going, from recycling junk for a few dollars at the nearest center (I think it is still going too, because I would ride past it on Grand River near Oakman) to the odds and ends that some of the older ladies on my paper route needed done. I got that I would have to work at something...

... and because I was a smart kid, I figured something would come and grab me by the collar and give me a shake. Along with our football rivalry, another obvious enticement to becoming friends with Hutch, was his profession. I had already wanted to become a teacher. The relatively low pay of teachers didn't frighten me as I didn't think I would need a lot of money to live my life. In fact, his bachelor lifestyle on the surface, was a fine example of having enough to make the life that I wanted.

And of all the memories that I have been able to hold clear and of all the things that I have wanted to do with my life, the desire to be an educator and positively impact the lives of children is one that I can still run after. A while ago, someone who I would call one of my favourite teachers, shared a story about one of her former students. The pupil had a rough patches abound in his life, but when I read her essay, I was hopeful for him.

Sometimes it is enough that a person matters to someone. I think that it creates a link that they can draw from when all else fails. The feeling that someone out there cares about you is a powerful energy source. I know that I believe in that wholeheartedly. And I also think that when such a link is made between people who positively impacts on life as a rule as well as yours individually, the more energy is created.

No matter the vibe of this journal for the past few months, I still believe in something and remain hopeful. If my most recent taskings haven't broken me, then I am hard pressed to imagine what will. A lot of that is due to the stories that I created for myself. I believe that the stories that the former pupil will create for himself will keep him from falling into the abyss and he will continue to grow. The teachers last sighting of him, was of him still moving foward with his education and looking well.

In the stories that I write, kids like him continue to move on and up in life. Not only is that in 'my stories', I also have observed it enough in action to believe in the power of a mind determined to make it to a better place. He may not be aware of it yet, but I think that he 'knows' what to do, to reach that better place.

5 comments:

Tawnya said...

I saw the scuffle between Sid the Kid and Hank. OMG Jimmy Howard came out of nowhere and shoved his goalie glove in Sid's face dragging him away! Way to go Jimmy!!! As for State, did not watch much of the game due to Doug's fear of jinxing it for them by watching. I know. I know. It was a good Michigan sports weekend.

Ken Riches said...

I was at work and did not see the State game, but we monitored the score, and I thought of you when they one. Glade to hear you are remaining hopeful in your journey.

DB said...

There's great worth in caring for other people, but to have one special person to care about is a gift.

d

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

In my Spirutality Class we were reading about the word Mentor and how to this day it still has its roots in its original meaning... read the Homer's the Odyssey...the story of Odysseus, his son Telemachus and Mentor--the King's most trusted friend...whom Odysseus left in charge as he sailed off to Troy.

Mentors are important through out our lives. They ground us...they support us, they act as a wall when we are running from ourselves.

A mentor will not try to put words into the mouth of another nor make the young too stiff or self-conscious but will urge and encourage.

Continue to care indeed. You are a fine mentor.

Unknown said...

There was a man, once upon a time, whose name was W. Clement Stone. He was a big proponent of the "Power of Positive Thinking". He, as you, was absolutely right.