Thursday, April 23, 2009

It's Universal

THINK OF A NUMBER



I listen to this song now, and I keep thinking of Beth & Ken, with all that science in their lives, dealing with all sorts of numbers and theorems and stuff. Sometimes I wonder how aware they are that they handle the kinds of math and science that only a few minds are able to comprehend, and even fewer of that number actually do it, and grow as they do.

Today I feel like thanking everyone who reads my journal, and tolerate my intrusions into their on line lives. Sometimes, I may get a little over involved ... sorry about that. It isn't that I think I even know what I am talking about (who am I kidding ... OF COURSE, I think I do!!).

Don't mean any harm, really I don't. And it isn't that my day to day is always pleasant. But what goes on is so mundane and inconsequential to where I am going, that I don't let the stuff rise to the level of concern, you feel me? Like I have never put some ice cream in the fridge and have it end up gone before ... what are you gonna do?

So when I do come out here, and something gets to making those connections, electrical charges floating across the ether, resembling the crab nebulae or something like that, I get to talking. Somewhere, I read somewhere the phrase 'therapy through blogging', and I guess there is some truth to that. I introduced the phrase 'therapy through commenting' today. I used to simply say on whatever journal really made my 'swelling itching brain' itch, that theirs was the 'long comment of the day'.

If I leave a comment that make sense to anyone, well, that was my intent! And occasionally, if I think someone needs some good cheer, I try to leave some of that too! That is how I roll, laughing at what makes me laugh. 'Audience of one'. But laughter between friends is very contagious, and I prefer spreading that than being all 'wowsy-woo-woo' that some people seem to enjoy.

Like Mike Singletary, 'I can't coach with them. Can't do it.'

THEN DIVIDE IT BY TWO

Taking my mind off of getting to Nebraska ... at the same time I wake up and try not to do anything that will jeopardize my getting to Nebraska ... UGH!

Some days I wake up, and say I should just leave tomorrow ... I NEVER tell her that, though. My 'spidey sense' says she is looking forward to me getting there as well, perhaps not as much as me, but all the same ... and talking about how much want to be there is like teasing. So I don't.

The problem I have with AKA, is that our 'personal issues' clash on a level of incompatibility that is hard to put into words. But the last person I felt in a similar way, I married. And I am so not looking forward to doing that again. We do have a good time, but there is enough 'sand in the gears' to let me know that there is a catastrophic failure waiting to happen with her.

Sorry, I prefer being the author of my own foolish demise, thank you very much. Why should I let YOU compulsion overwhelm me and mine?

THEN THINK OF A NUMBER, DON'T THINK OF AN ANSWER

Who came up with the concept of zero? I mean, I know I could put it in a search engine and get it, but I have to try to get it from whatever mental file it is in, first. Kind of like finding my operaton level, how far I can actually push myself. Looking forward to getting involved in making my life come to pass, dealing with challenges that will lead to getting somewhere. The Mayans? The Incas??

It is a fabulous concept, zero is. That is what makes math so wonderful, and truly a universal 'sound'. What is there not to get? Every human being gets it, math that is. I think that is something that is primal as well. But that is me.

Sitting here past my bedtime. It is 1:30 am, and I am just staring into the screen. It is as though I am unwilling to let this day go. No, I am more anxious for the next one to begin and I get to another day and get to the one after that.

As I get ready to sign off, I am checking out Jamie Lee Curtis and her grey hair. Looks super good on her, doesn't it? Later, y'all!

4 comments:

Ken Riches said...

If you have ever watched the show numbers, that is what our living room looks like. Only we are a little more modern, we use a white board. Equations, formulas, chemical equations, and the like. Our evenings are consumed :o)

In all seriousness, my days of number crunching, in a mathematical sense, are behind me. I did perform such work for the first 10-15 years of my career, but not now.

Love the diver images. We use those types of divers at our Nuclear Plant to fix underwater valves, clean up sand and silt and lake debris, to prevent damage to our cooling water intake system :o)

Beth said...

LOL at Ken's comment! No, we really don't do a lot of math stuff these days! However, I get your drift...some of that is the foundation for so much more, and the answers are unequivocal. There's no "Both A and C are correct answers." It's one or the other.

Once you get past that foundation, though, things get a little more ambiguous. And that's where things get interesting...!

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, Mark, and I hope you enjoy it thoroughly!

Love, Beth

DB said...

I think it was the Arabs who discovered zero. They didn't give it to us, of course, because it was always there, as with most of the answers to life's dilemmas. The discovery is everything, whether in space or in the ocean. I think the discovery goes on even in the mundane moments. We create dilemmas to fill the voids.

Great video.

Sage Ravenwood said...

Intrusions? Huh? Never saw you that way dear friend. The fact that you care enough to intrude and ask how I am from time to time, makes me realize what a true friend you are. I don't consider friendship intruding. (Hugs)Indigo