Monday, July 27, 2020

ANOTHER LETTER TO MY DAUGHTER


Hope you are doing well.  I think that you are due to a couple of new email addresses, a personal one and a professional one.  You prolly have them already and I simply am out of that loop, but regardless, it is good advice!


That is something that I have set as a goal for our relationship.  I want to be someone that you think of when it comes to regard to your confidence.  I know that I did not feel those comfortable sharing things with other people, whether it was a personality defect on my part, or if there were real signs of risk in trusting other people, I tend to keep things to myself.  Now that I am older, with the gap between generations has grown wider than in generations past, possibly because of technological influence on human relationships, I am even more a believer in making things as simple as possible, which is the crux of David Goggins book, “Can’t Hurt Me”.  Set a goal, do whatever it takes to achieve it, then set another just a little bit higher.  The thing about this method is, we all KNOW the process… we get confused because it is hard.  Sometimes, I think that is something that plagues you (as well as yours truly!).


Right now, at the quarter-life point of your journey, you have some hard decisions to make.  What do YOU want to do with life, meaning what do you want to accomplish without something external to yourself, to give meaning to your actions?  What do you want to be, in that you are the only variable that you can manipulate and factor?  For some reason, I get the feeling that you see yourself as the Princess in one of the Mario Bros. games… waiting to be rescued from something that you could have avoided yourself!  At any rate, you are quickly running out of time, this I know from MY EXPERIENCE at this point and time in my life.  I knew that I was about to embark on what would be the project to truly live my dreams… and I was unable to do that.  I do not want that for you. There has been too much talent and investment made in you for you not to be a high achiever, in that you have the power to live a noble life of your own choosing.  But there is one provision that cannot be avoided… whatever life you lead, it will only be positive if you positively work to make it that way.  Nothing, absolutely nothing, will be given to you of your dream, you will have to work for it.


Sitting from afar, I wonder if you have it in you, the will to make your life happen.  I am not criticizing you or trying to nag you… I have to do the same!  In fact, I am going to enroll in school in January and finish up what has become an albatross around my self-esteem.  The thing about happiness is that it always comes with a price… and it depends on how much it means to you as far as what it costs.


Anywho… I am talking in circles now… and fortunately, my class is about to start!  Hope you are well.!!


Love & Rockets!


Dad


No comments: